Avanti Discs!

mfg

The Studebaker Avanti was the ......?...... U.S. passenger car to utilize disc front brakes.

1) first........2) second.........3) third    or........4) fourth

At least the second,as Crosley introduced them in 1949 on their Hotshot model-I'll say 2) second

The Avanti was the first US car to use modern caliper disc brakes.  The Crosley was the first to use disc brakes but they were referred to as "spot" discs.  I don't know what that means but they apparently didn't utilize calipers.  I also have read that Chrysler had some kind of disc brakes in the 1950s but they weren't used for long for whatever reasons.

But...as the question is written...I agree that Studebaker wasn't the first.  

I'll say the third, after Crosley and Chrysler.

BTW, the Chrysler disc brakes were offered from 1949 to 1953. Instead of the disc with caliper squeezing on it, this system used twin expanding discs that rubbed against the inner surface of a cast-iron brake drum, which doubled as the brake housing. The discs spread apart to create friction against the inner drum surface through the action of standard wheel cylinders. Because of the expense, the brakes were only standard on the Chrysler Crown and the Town & Country Newport in 1950.[8] They were optional, however, on other Chryslers. The system was on all four wheels.

3 hours ago, r1lark said:

I'll say the third, after Crosley and Chrysler.

BTW, the Chrysler disc brakes were offered from 1949 to 1953. Instead of the disc with caliper squeezing on it, this system used twin expanding discs that rubbed against the inner surface of a cast-iron brake drum, which doubled as the brake housing. The discs spread apart to create friction against the inner drum surface through the action of standard wheel cylinders. Because of the expense, the brakes were only standard on the Chrysler Crown and the Town & Country Newport in 1950.[8] They were optional, however, on other Chryslers. The system was on all four wheels.

THIRD is correct....WELL DONE!