1557139 Flange & insulator assembly

landriopa

When assembling the steering column on my 63 Avanti, I did not torque the collar on the Flange Assembly properly.  The good news is that I found out that the serrations on the Ross Steering gear are of a stronger steel than than the collar's steel serrations.  The bad news is that there are no longer much of any serrations left on the collar and that I need a replacement part.  SI does not have this in their catalog, any options or alternate sources?  

If you are talking about the Rubber steering coupler then you could go to a parts store for a replacement.

I would have thought they are reasonably generic and a Ford or GM one could be used as a replacement . If not I have seen them on Ebay.

Also try Bob Johnston's Avanti page , there maybe a replacement number you could use on that site.

pb

Edited by 1963r2
extra

I wish that I was talking about the rubber.  The rubber is fine.  It is the actual cast metal collar that was stripped.  It is now smooth and can not hold tight against the steering gear.

Flange assembly.jpg

Thanks for advising me to look for this part.  I found several available online and via Napa.  Be sure to count your spline and measure carefully the diameter as there are different spline counts and diameter sizes available.  I measured the Avanti as 3/4 inch dia with 36 spline, which is the most common available. Power Steering 11/16-36 SPLINE Rag Joint Coupler New

• 2 weeks later...