Dolly's Avanti!!

mfg

Andy Granatelli placed an interesting for sale ad in the summer, 1967 Avanti newsletter as follows................

"The last Studebaker Avanti produced and delivered was sold to Anthony Granatelli which he bought for his wife. This beautifully original car just turned 7000 miles and is like new inside and out. Exterior is Avanti Gray; interior is maroon with walnut trim; PS & PB: tinted glass; radio. Price $4500."

We know that the last Studebaker Avanti produced was R-5643, a white '64 now in the Crawford Museum...........I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Granatelli's 'Avanti Gray' '64, which he apparently thought was the last Avanti built!

On 3/13/2018 at 4:20 PM, Gunslinger said:

Andy was a promoter...hyperbole is a promoter's main tool.  

No doubt he was!....Years ago Andy gave a short tour of the STP plant to a business associate and member of the AOAI......They ended up inside a warehouse which contained, among many other things, a pristine Studebaker Avanti.....Andy presented THAT Avanti as the LAST Avanti produced.....and it was a GOLD one!! :o

"Delivered" might be the interesting point.

Was it the last customer delivered car ?

Anyway I'm not sure if that would be more important than the fact that Andy owned it.

pb

I thought R5642 was the last Avanti produced  and sold to the public.  Perhaps that was just the last R3, but it is a white auto transmission car with the red interior.  Currently in Maryland in great condition.  

Edited by Peddler

While I still believe it was simply the Granatelli promoting going on, there is the possibility the car was one of the original prototypes that were brought up to most of the 1964 standards and given serial numbers higher than the last Avanti actually constructed in December 1963.  

5 hours ago, Peddler said:

I thought R5642 was the last Avanti produced  and sold to the public.  Perhaps that was just the last R3, but it is a white auto transmission car with the red interior.  Currently in Maryland in great condition.  

R5643 (not "R5642") was the last Avanti built and publically sold and was an R3 and also a white car with AT.  Last that I knew, it was in the Crawford Museum in Ohio.  As mentioned, early prototypes received S/Ns higher than this and were sold as new 1964s.  

Edited by studegary
added info.