Palm Springs Auction

schuyler

FYI. This weekend in Palm Springs, Ca. is the McCormick Car Auction # 64. They have 2 interesting Avantis. One with a "Targa" top ( Sat. 2/24,  lot # 244 ) and the other with factory history. Check out McCormicks site and look for consignment cars. 

Interesting cars. Curious who built the Targa roof car. The other car belonged to Dr. Lamberti who was at Studebaker at the end of production. There are many documents detailing his involvement in production. I have seen this car often as it was serviced by a friend of mine in Los Angeles.

Bob Caser

I saw the "Targa Top" Avanti today. The Avanti is a 63 and the top of the car is black Vinyl with the Targa set up. The roof workmanship is very good. This car appears to be an R2. It has the factory supercharger but it is also has A.C. The compressor looks like a old shorter Fridgedare unit and the A.C. vents inside the car look factory stock. Interesting car! I would love to know its history. The numbers would indicate that it was built in late January of 1963. If someone reading this is the owner please let us know the history of your very interesting car. If no answer, I respect your privacy!. Thank you!

1 hour ago, schuyler said:

I saw the "Targa Top" Avanti today. The Avanti is a 63 and the top of the car is black Vinyl with the Targa set up. The roof workmanship is very good. This car appears to be an R2. It has the factory supercharger but it is also has A.C. The compressor looks like a old shorter Fridgedare unit and the A.C. vents inside the car look factory stock. Interesting car! I would love to know its history. The numbers would indicate that it was built in late January of 1963. If someone reading this is the owner please let us know the history of your very interesting car. If no answer, I respect your privacy!. Thank you!

An interesting car,no doubt!..Did you or anyone see the '64?..Upon inquiry to the owner of the car from the auction company per my request to find out more about the car's condition,the owner of the car,a dealer,would not supply additional details about the car nor any additional photos.Strange way to try to sell a car.

Murph, nope, I was there on Friday and the only Avanti there was the "Targa" car. Maybe the other Avanti was scheduled for sale on Sat. or Sun. and had not arrived yet. Sorry! Did you find a R2 yet?

Thanks,schuyler.still looking for the right R-2.

Edited by murph the surf

Looks like Dr. Lamberti's 64 R-1 sold for $17K at McCormick's Palm Springs Auction.Not sure what the "Targa" R-2 brought.

Lamberti.JPG

Pretty open-looking for a high quality car.Would prefer a fairly well optioned turquoise '64,but pretty hard to "special order" one at this point!  

Not hard, just expensive.  Brad Bez or Mike Baker could build you just what you want, just bring lots of money.