4 speed shifter boot "ring"

murph the surf

Hi.my 63 R-1 is a factory 4 speed.On the console surrounding the boot,there are 4 screw holes that would fit the pattern of a round ring of some kind.Was there some sort of (perhaps chome) decorative ring that originally went around the boot?.I am replacing the boot,and SI said they only had a listing for a '64 model.Mine is serial number is 63R-1707,so it's a somewhat early production model.Does anyone have any ideas?..Thank you!...Jim

1963_Studebaker_Avanti_with_4-speed_in_white_10of12.jpg

Edited by murph the surf

I don't know whether it came equipped originally with a chrome ring but someone could easily have retrofitted one at some point.  You might check with a speed shop and see if they have an aftermarket one that might fit or go ahead and get one from SI.

Thanks,Gunslinger-good idea about the speed shop.The one SI carries for the '64 is square/oblong,so a round will have to be sourced elsewhere.Just dawned on me that I should check the authenticity manual.

Edited by murph the surf

Hi 64-is your ring chrome?..If the rings were added late in production,perhaps mine was retrofitted at a later date.Thank you,64

10 hours ago, murph the surf said:

Thanks,Gunslinger-good idea about the speed shop.The one SI carries for the '64 is square/oblong,so a round will have to be sourced elsewhere.Just dawned on me that I should check the authenticity manual.

This is the one from SI, part number 1559789. This was added to 3&4 speeds after R4849.

0001003a7770-med.jpg

I used to have a '67 Dodge Charger with a 4-speed.  The boot had a chrome ring just barely oval and could have been mistaken for round.  I found a reproduction ring to replace the original piece that was rusted...for all I know it could be identical to what your car had.  If you can't find something that works through a speed shop or SI, you might look at vendors that serve the Mopar market or even Ford, GM or AMC.  Trim pieces like those could have been more or less universal as a cost-cutting measure.

Thanks,Regnalbob-they described it on Friday as being oblong or rectangular-looks like it should do the trick-thanks!

1 hour ago, Gunslinger said:

I used to have a '67 Dodge Charger with a 4-speed.  The boot had a chrome ring just barely oval and could have been mistaken for round.  I found a reproduction ring to replace the original piece that was rusted...for all I know it could be identical to what your car had.  If you can't find something that works through a speed shop or SI, you might look at vendors that serve the Mopar market or even Ford, GM or AMC.  Trim pieces like those could have been more or less universal as a cost-cutting measure.

Thankss again,Gunslinger-pretty sure the part Regnalbob saw in his catalog may do the trick...Thanks!..Jim

Sounds like I'm ordering tomorrow!..thank you all for your help-what a great group!!!