Block colr

Ron Dame

I think I brought this up before, but RS 1092 is an R2 in R1092.

The heads and intake are black, but the block is defintitely red. I thought that was for R3s, not R2s. Though I don't have full service records, I see nothing to suggest a rebuild, and the car only has 62,000 original miles. Under the red, I see no black, and given the dirt, I again don't think this engine has been out, much less rebuilt

Could early R2's have red blocks? Or did Studebaker paint the engine after heads were installed?

I'm not sure I can answer the question, but engine numbers starting with "RS" are definitely R2s as you've said...and should be black.  Studebaker also painted or dipped engine blocks in Glyptol which I believe was a red anti-rust substance while they were in storage before assembly.  It's possible it's Glyptol you're seeing.  Maybe the block never received the black paint though missing something like that is a pretty glaring thing to miss.  

It's also possible someone along the way painted the engine red.  In over fifty years it's difficult to know its complete history.

I have an R2 engine in my shop, S/N RS1848, that is a red color. I bought the engine in 1967 and it has never been apart. I also have an R1, S/N  R1370, that is painted black, however there are places on the block where you can see red paint underneath the black. The R1 was in my Avanti  S/N 63R-1659 that I bought in 1968.  I don't know if this any help but I thought I would pass it on.

Thanks. This is not Glyptol, it is red paint. Lark55, what color are the heads and intake on yours? MFG, mine is a PowerShift. It was a nice car when the son inherited it, but then it sat outside for 15 years and is pretty rough. It should be ready to tag and drive by tomorrow, but is still awfully ugly. Thankfully, the frame and hog troughs survived it's terrible storage.

Edited by Ron Dame

Did Studebaker paint the blocks and heads separately on Avantis? Seems odd, or maybe early on some were assembled as R3's but then production said, no, make it an R2?

R3/R4 engines had selected blocks that were sent to the Granatellis for conversion to R3 or R4 specs.  They were given either Axxx or Bxxx serial numbers...nearly all were B numbers.  There were something like 130 R3/R4 engines assembled total.  Some of them were known to have been assembled with standard R2 heads rather than the special R3 heads towards the end of the project.  As far as I know completed engines were sent back to Studebaker as needed and the Granatellis kept leftover engines and parts for resale...the last one finally sold about 1969 or so.

Whether blocks and heads were painted separately or as an assembled engine I don't know.

I think the best I can say about your questions is you can never say never with Studebaker...especially towards the end of auto production.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2018 at 8:07 AM, Ron Dame said:

Did Studebaker paint the blocks and heads separately on Avantis? Seems odd, or maybe early on some were assembled as R3's but then production said, no, make it an R2?

Sorry about not answering right away. I checked the intake manifolds on both motors and they are both black.