'87 Avantis!

mfg

1 hour ago, mfg said:

How did the Kelly Youngstown workers lower the front end of his 1987 Avantis to acceptable standards?

I thought that all 1987 Avantis were the same height in front.   The first 1987s were made in South Bend and the last 1987s were made in Youngstown.  Your question implies that there was a change in height during the 1987 model year.

They WERE all the same height Gary.....Let me re-configure this trivia question...............

'87 Monte Carlo chassis were designed to support a steel body......When used under an Avanti's fiberglass body, the front of the Avanti sat too high.

How did the folks at Youngstown bring the Avanti bodies, mounted on Monte Carlo chassis "down in front"?....(whew!)

1 hour ago, r1lark said:

Smaller diameter tires? Seems like I read that trick being used in the post-altman era, but actually thought it was during Steve Blake's reign.

As far as I know, tire sizes were not 'mixed' on the 1987 Avantis.

Any other thoughts on this question?

OK.......how about dropped spindles from the 'hot rod' industry? I know they are available now for G body GM cars, but not positive if they were available when these cars were new or relatively new.

7 hours ago, mfg said:

They WERE all the same height Gary.....Let me re-configure this trivia question...............

'87 Monte Carlo chassis were designed to support a steel body......When used under an Avanti's fiberglass body, the front of the Avanti sat too high.

How did the folks at Youngstown bring the Avanti bodies, mounted on Monte Carlo chassis "down in front"?....(whew!)

Maybe you should have another try at the question.  I guess that you know what you are looking for, but I and maybe others do not.  I believe that all 1987 Avantis were built basically the same no matter if they were made in South Bend, Youngstown or a combination of the two.  

1 hour ago, studegary said:

Maybe you should have another try at the question.  I guess that you know what you are looking for, but I and maybe others do not.  I believe that all 1987 Avantis were built basically the same no matter if they were made in South Bend, Youngstown or a combination of the two.  

r1lark has made two pretty good 'stabs' at this trivia question Gary....He seems to understand it......(Hard to believe you're having such difficulty!)

Perhaps you should move on to another question??

I would think that the question and answer applies to all 1987 Avantis and not just those built in Youngstown.  In other words, South Bend workers did the same thing (assuming that your answer is correct).  

20 hours ago, studegary said:

I would think that the question and answer applies to all 1987 Avantis and not just those built in Youngstown.  In other words, South Bend workers did the same thing (assuming that your answer is correct).  

You can take my answer to the bank Gary!! :D