Avanti R4175

mfg

Wondering if anyone knows the whereabouts of 1963 Studebaker Avanti R4175?....This Avanti is a rare factory 'Avanti Black' job, which was once owned by Tommy Tompkins then Paul Savard, and after that Dennis St. Hilaire from Connecticut.........A beautiful low mileage R1 as I remember it!

42 minutes ago, silverstude said:

Where did you get the ownership info?

I knew/know the folks whom I mentioned...St. Hilaire being the last owner of this Avanti that I'm aware of.... The last time I saw R4175 in person, it had just over 15K on its odometer.

Avanti Black, R1, 4 speed, red/fawn interior, tinted glass all around.

• 2 years later...

Still wondering if this rare 'Avanti Black' Studebaker Avanti is out there somewhere?:huh:

( In 1975,  R4175 was positioned right alongside my 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk, at the Greater New England Autorama Show held in Boston.......That Avanti was (then) 'As New'!:))

• 2 years later...

I own this car. It now has around 16,000 miles and is in like new condition. It is still 100% original paint with the original tires. Even the original exhaust is still nice. I drive it a little bit. I would love to know more about the history. It was hiding away since 1980 when I bought it.

40 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Now that is a nice car! I assume no air conditioning?

Yes for sure!!...It looks just like I last saw this Avanti in Boston in 1975 !

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Mr. Rippa....you sure own one of the nice ones!

I  was looking at photos  I took at the Boston Autorama show in '75, and in one your Avanti can be partially seen...(it was alongside my Hawk, which I was photographing)

4 hours ago, mfg said:

Mr. Rippa....you sure own one of the nice ones!

I  was looking at photos  I took at the Boston Autorama show in '75, and in one your Avanti can be partially seen...(it was alongside my Hawk, which I was photographing)

I would love to learn more about this car. I have owned it for about 2 years. Please feel free to email me at jmrippa@gmail.com. 

When I was reading the authenticity manual I was thinking that this car is the one they should have looked at. You can’t get much more original. 

6 hours ago, J M Rippa said:

I would love to learn more about this car. I have owned it for about 2 years. Please feel free to email me at jmrippa@gmail.com. 

When I was reading the authenticity manual I was thinking that this car is the one they should have looked at. You can’t get much more original. 

A fellow by the  name of Thomas (Tommy) Tompkins, of Massachusetts, owned your Avanti in the mid sixties, however I do not believe he was the original owner of the car.....

Tommy always purchased the nicest Avantis, keeping them for a time then moving on to another!

I don't know if you have a copy of the '22 AOAI CALENDAR?....if you do check out the gorgeous December '64 Avanti...Tommy Tompkins also owned that beauty!

5 hours ago, Nelson said:

I assume the interior is the orange/tangerine?

32 minutes ago, mfg said:

A fellow by the  name of Thomas (Tommy) Tompkins, of Massachusetts, owned your Avanti in the mid sixties, however I do not believe he was the original owner of the car.....

Tommy always purchased the nicest Avantis, keeping them for a time then moving on to another!

I don't know if you have a copy of the '22 AOAI CALENDAR?....if you do check out the gorgeous December '64 Avanti...Tommy Tompkins also owned that beauty!

That’s great! Do you know the other owners?

I am in Vermont so I don’t think the car has traveled very far. It was in Rhode Island for many years before I bought it. 

12 hours ago, J M Rippa said:

That’s great! Do you know the other owners?

I am in Vermont so I don’t think the car has traveled very far. It was in Rhode Island for many years before I bought it. 

Since you live in Vermont and I am in Mass, perhaps I'll get to see R4175 again in the near future!

Mr. Tompkins sold your Avanti to Mr. Paul Savard, who still lives in Wareham/Onset Mass....Paul also owned several Studebaker Avantis....and he also purchased one of the first new Avanti ll's sent to the Boston area....Paul owned your Avanti when it was displayed at the '75 Autorama show, which was held at the Prudential Center in Boston...

Paul Savard eventually sold your Avanti to a gent named Dennis St.Hillare of  Connecticut..There is a nice photo of the car with Dennis in an early issue of AVANTI TOPICS magazine...I did not know Mr. St.Hillaire,...however if memory serves me correctly, he brought R4175 to the Studebaker International Meet held in Marlborough, Mass in 1990.....

If you'd like to find out more info on the early days of R4175, you could try contacting Paul Savard in Wareham, Mass..He is  still a member of the Northeast Chapter of AOAI.

BEST OF LUCK WITH STUDEBAKER AVANTI R4175!!

17 minutes ago, silverstude said:

Before Tompkins owned it,  Barry Orbach of Manhattan, KS had it (1976)

That could very well be..although the year you mention (1976) seems a bit out of place....it could be though!

2 hours ago, mfg said:

That could very well be..although the year you mention (1976) seems a bit out of place....it could be though!

2 hours ago, mfg said:

Since you live in Vermont and I am in Mass, perhaps I'll get to see R4175 again in the near future!

Mr. Tompkins sold your Avanti to Mr. Paul Savard, who still lives in Wareham/Onset Mass....Paul also owned several Studebaker Avantis....and he also purchased one of the first new Avanti ll's sent to the Boston area....Paul owned your Avanti when it was displayed at the '75 Autorama show, which was held at the Prudential Center in Boston...

Paul Savard eventually sold your Avanti to a gent named Dennis St.Hillare of  Connecticut..There is a nice photo of the car with Dennis in an early issue of AVANTI TOPICS magazine...I did not know Mr. St.Hillaire,...however if memory serves me correctly, he brought R4175 to the Studebaker International Meet held in Marlborough, Mass in 1990.....

If you'd like to find out more info on the early days of R4175, you could try contacting Paul Savard in Wareham, Mass..He is  still a member of the Northeast Chapter of AOAI.

BEST OF LUCK WITH STUDEBAKER AVANTI R4175!!

Thank you for all the history! I appreciate it. Definitely be in touch if you are ever near Essex, Vermont. I also have a spectacular R2 4 speed in white with a red interior. 

2 minutes ago, J M Rippa said:

Thank you for all the history! I appreciate it. Definitely be in touch if you are ever near Essex, Vermont. I also have a spectacular R2 4 speed in white with a red interior. 

Thanks!.....R2 4 speed...what many Avanti fans consider the holy grail!