Studebaker Avanti!

mfg

In late 1995 at South Bend, Indiana, a new company was started by.........?......... who adopted the name 'Studebaker Corporation'....with the intention of again producing Avanti automobiles!.....As far as I know, nothing ever came of this venture.

1) Paul Dodson.........2) David Barnay.........3) Steven Edwards.....or.....4) Chris Baker

Chris Baker-don't remember the plans for an Avanti,but I remember they wanted to resurrect the Studebaker name,and pretty sure they got as far as building an SUV that GM sued them over as they considered it too similar to their Hummer,and "production" stopped

Edited by murph the surf

20 minutes ago, murph the surf said:

Chris Baker-don't remember the plans for an Avanti,but I remember they wanted to resurrect the Studebaker name,and pretty sure they got as far as building an SUV that GM sued them over as they considered it too similar to their Hummer,and "production" stopped

I do not know if Chris Baker is correct, but the SUV that GM sued over was built by Avanti Motors (Kelly).

I also remember an attempt to resurrect the Studebaker name, but I don't remember it including Avanti.  

Yes,that's right,Gary-now I remember that-been a long day at Dave Rupp's Ft Lauderdale car auction!...pretty sure Baker's plan  involved some sort of vehicle for Law Enforcement....don't remember any concrete plans or drawings for a resurrected Avanti.

Edited by murph the surf

12 hours ago, murph the surf said:

Christopher Baker, #4, is Correct....In the South Bend Tribune article which I read, Mr. Baker was photographed standing in front of an '84 Avanti coupe,...with plans to put an updated version of it back into production in South Bend.....He needed 20 million bucks to get the ball rolling!:o