Egbert Avanti Sketch

murph the surf

Sherwood Egbert drew his famous initial doodle or sketch of the type of car that was needed to bring customers into Studebaker showrooms (the Avanti) on an airplane flight "somewhere between _ _ _ _ _ and _ _ _ _ _ _ " per his recollection.

avanti doodle.jpg

logical guess,Gary,but those are not the two cities.Congrats on the 500 posts,BTW!

Edited by murph the surf

Another good guess-but these were two cities he referenced as he was flying over them,en route.

In an April 1962 speech, Sherwood Egbert was quoted..........

" On March 6, 1961, after I had been president of the corporation only a month, I flew out to California. I bought $6.00 worth of sports car magazines and by the time I had concluded my trip I had sketched out an automobile".

In that speech he didn't mention exactly what cities he was flying over when ....'the light bulb came on!!' :o

in a later recollection,he actually did reference two cities.

3 hours ago, mfg said:

In an April 1962 speech, Sherwood Egbert was quoted..........

" On March 6, 1961, after I had been president of the corporation only a month, I flew out to California. I bought $6.00 worth of sports car magazines and by the time I had concluded my trip I had sketched out an automobile".

So........this item pictured (posted by murph)  is THE much talked about Egbert 'airplane trip' sketch?!? Guess I'm kinda disappointed, since this is just drawing a targa top on a Jaguar, and making another little sketch of the top portion of a car. After all the articles that seemed to insinuate that Egbert developed the Avanti concept himself (which we know wasn't true) and Raymond just find tuned it, I find it hard to believe that this is the sketch that spawned those articles!

The pic I posted was actually a follow-up note dated March 27,1961,with a small sketch of a targa top car ,along the lines of the Jaguar E-Type pictured in the ad.This was to be sent to Raymond Lowey in Palm Springs ,stating that Mr. Egbert felt 'it seems we are on the right track",as he had wanted a car similar to the E-Type to bring customers into Studebaker showrooms.This particular "sketch" is dated March 27th,not March 6th. However detailed the March 6th sketch was, or was not,there would have been no Avanti had there been no Sherwood Egbert-indeed the "father of the Studebaker Avanti". 

Edited by murph the surf

4 hours ago, murph the surf said:

The pic I posted was actually a follow-up note dated March 27,1961,with a small sketch of a targa top car ,along the lines of the Jaguar E-Type pictured in the ad.This was to be sent to Raymond Lowey in Palm Springs ,stating that Mr. Egbert felt 'it seems we are on the right track",as he had wanted a car similar to the E-Type to bring customers into Studebaker showrooms.This particular "sketch" is dated March 27th,not March 6th. However detailed the March 6th sketch was, or was not,there would have been no Avanti had there been no Sherwood Egbert-indeed the "father of the Studebaker Avanti". 

Thanks for clarifying/correcting me. I fully agree that without Egbert, there would have not been an Avanti -- and to follow that line, no Avanti-powered Larks and Hawks.