Avanti R5653!

mfg

unbelievably 1) $12,500

I believe that was originally EX2946.

EDIT:  I just noticed that this was my 500th post on the AOAI Forum.  I will never catch up to my thousands on the SDC Forum.  

Edited by studegary

Back around 1973 or so I went to look at an Avanti for sale.  It was in good condition...R1...automatic, no p/s, no a/c...pretty much a base car.  The asking was $3250 if I remember.  Being in school with little cash I had to pass it up.  

A few years later after graduation and being "gainfully" employed I purchased my first Avanti...another '63 R1 but better equipped.   I really dove into Avanti history...at least what it was at the time...and discovered the '63 I first looked at several years earlier must have been one of the original prototypes.  I distinctly remembered it had the rear view mirror mounted on a ball socket on the dash like a '61 Chrysler my dad once owned.  From what I had found out, only the original prototypes were equipped with the mirror on the dash.  

It really made little difference...if I had known that several years earlier I still didn't have the cash.  If the seller had known the price would probably have been higher.

That Avanti you looked at may very well have been one of the early protoypes. On the other hand, it possibly may have been a regular production R1 Avanti that someone fitted a dash mounted rearview mirror into, as the tiny 'low windshield mount' factory mirror was considered by many to be next to useless! :o

Edited by mfg