Avanti Gold!

mfg

OK, the other choice of course is false. But please include your reasoning for the false :).

I took the word 'offered' in the question as meaning listed in the literature and dealer information..........ie, that it does not include special customer requests, deviation permits, special paint for show cars, cars built up in engineering, etc. ;)

21 minutes ago, r1lark said:

OK, the other choice of course is false. But please include your reasoning for the false :).

I took the word 'offered' in the question as meaning listed in the literature and dealer information..........ie, that it does not include special customer requests, deviation permits, special paint for show cars, cars built up in engineering, etc. ;)

This is a tough one to satisfactorily explain....but here goes!

Studebaker offered only one Avanti Gold in 1963, and the factory color code for this paint was/is P-6333.

In 1964, Studebaker still offered the P-6333 Avanti Gold, however late in production a different color (or composition) 'Avanti Gold Poly' ( P-6337)was evidently used.

The listing of the new and different color code (P-6337) by Studebaker indicates a definite change.....No auto manufacturer would ever list two different color codes for the exact same paint!......Clear as mud??

Edited by mfg

Interestingly, the code number assigned to  'Avanti Gold Poly' was the last exterior paint code number (P-6337) assigned to a Studebaker Avanti......The paint code number right before it (P-6336) was assigned to the late '64 Studebaker Avanti color 'Avanti Maroon'.

This has been discussed before and there is only one Avanti Gold for 1963 (P6333) and 1964 (P6433).

These numbers are shown on the ordering guides for 1963 and 1964 Avantis. 

There is no mention of P6337 which would be a 1963 code and not 1964.

Also the code for Avanti Maroon is P6436, not P6336.

Read the last post.

Follow 0

mfg

Avanti Gold!

By mfg, February 21, 2015 in Avanti Trivia

mfg

• AOAI Forum Member
  • mfg
  • AOAI Forum Members
  • 5,140 posts
  • My Avanti:1963,63R1379

Studebaker offered only one 'Avanti Gold' exterior color for the '63-'64 Avantis.....True?

schuyler

• AOAI Forum Member
  • schuyler
  • AOAI Forum Members
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Corvette, Avanti, Bicycling
  • My Avanti:1963 # 63R-2318

Yes, and it was Avanti Gold Metallic # 7003-BD. Dupont Lucite. This applies to 1963. I am not sure if 1964 was the same.

mfg

• AOAI Forum Member
  • mfg
  • AOAI Forum Members
  • 5,140 posts

schuyler says True,.....Any other opinions on this question?

mfg

• AOAI Forum Member
  • mfg
  • AOAI Forum Members
  • 5,140 posts

Any other thoughts here?

mfg

• AOAI Forum Member
  • mfg
  • AOAI Forum Members
  • 5,140 posts

Apparently, Studebaker offered two 'Avanti Golds'....The PPG 'AVANTI GOLD' paint page from '63-'64 indicates this,....But I'm not sure of what the actual difference in the final color was!

1) 'AVANTI GOLD'...PPG mix code # 21530------------------- 2) 'AVANTI GOLD POLY'...PPG mix code # 22480 Different code numbers indicate slightly different colors...Answer to question...FALSE!

brad

• AOAI Forum Member
  • brad
  • AOAI Forum Members
  • 607 posts
  • Interests:Avanti's, Studebakers, any interesting vehicles, pets,family.....
  • My Avanti:1963

No actually, it means two different people from PPG mixed two different formulas at two different times. The ORIGINAL R-M lacquer was one formulation.

mfg

• AOAI Forum Member
  • mfg
  • AOAI Forum Members
  • 5,140 posts
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2015 at 6:11 PM, brad said:

No actually, it means two different people from PPG mixed two different formulas at two different times. The ORIGINAL R-M lacquer was one formulation.

No brad, two different formulations could easily be produced from DIFFERENT paint companies, but two different formulations of the same code (color) would never occur from the same company....unless there was a specific reason!.....With some 'digging' we'd probably find that R-M also had two different 'Avanti Golds' during the production run of the Studebaker Avanti!

brad

• AOAI Forum Member
  • brad
  • AOAI Forum Members
  • 607 posts
  • Interests:Avanti's, Studebakers, any interesting vehicles, pets,family.....
  • My Avanti:1963

I can pull up codes for colors that have 12 different formulations for the same color. They are called variance chips. You can get different colors from the same mix if you spray it differently. I have probably painted over 2OO2 vehicles in my career. You don't just buy paint and spray it and expect it to match. It will not happen.

Many, many times these "variances" are totally different toners off the mixing bank, not just different amounts of the same toner.

Edited February 23, 2015 by brad

mfg

• AOAI Forum Member
  • mfg
  • AOAI Forum Members
  • 5,140 posts

I understand that brad, as I have probably painted over 2001 vehicles in my career..But you're incorrect if you feel this second formula is a color 'variance'...You see, color 'variances' are slight changes to an original paint formula. (or mix) What we're speaking of here is an entirely different formula (or mix)...(Nice try though!)

Regnalbob

• AOAI Forum Member
  • Regnalbob
  • AOAI Forum Members
  • 161 posts
  • My Avanti:63R-2809
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2015 at 11:11 AM, mfg said:

Apparently, Studebaker offered two 'Avanti Golds'....The PPG 'AVANTI GOLD' paint page from '63-'64 indicates this,....But I'm not sure of what the actual difference in the final color was!

1) 'AVANTI GOLD'...PPG mix code # 21530------------------- 2) 'AVANTI GOLD POLY'...PPG mix code # 22480 Different code numbers indicate slightly different colors...Answer to question...FALSE!

The formula called for from Studebaker is what the paint companies use.The paint was mixed according to this formula. Different code numbers are used for the type of paint -- lacquer, acrylic lacquer or enamel.

Only one Avanti Gold was available. The dealer did not have two color chips of Avanti Gold to show a customer.

If the dealer or body shop had to repaint or touch up how would they know which one to use if there were two formulas?

Unless you have a build sheet, window sticker, factory formula or a sticker from under the glove box to show something different than

P-6333 or P-6433 there is only one Avanti Gold.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipdisplay.cgi?year=1964&manuf=Studebaker&smodel=Studebaker&info=&page=9

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipdisplay.cgi?year=1964&manuf=Studebaker&smodel=Studebaker&info=&page=4

Edited February 23, 2015 by Regnalbob

mfg

• AOAI Forum Member
  • mfg
  • AOAI Forum Members
  • 5,140 posts

Actually Bob, both these numbers are for PPG (Ditzler at that time) 'Duracryl' acrylic lacquer paint.....Don't forget now...the second formula indicates 'Poly'.

'Avanti Turquoise' is another problematic color...Both PPG and Dupont only have one paint mix formula for this color....but their end results are 'Night and Day' believe me!

mfg

• AOAI Forum Member
  • mfg
  • AOAI Forum Members
  • 5,140 posts

UPDATE on this trivia question.......I phoned an auto body paint supply house yesterday that sells 'PPG'. I was told that the 'Avanti Gold' color itself would most probably be exactly the same from either mix....but 'Poly' would indicate the second formula (mix) may stand up to the elements (sun, rain) longer than the first one would. (More durable paint) This info is probably correct, as I do remember that factory paint jobs on original Studebaker Avantis painted 'Avanti Gold' seemed to 'wash out' (fade) rather quickly.

Regnalbob
Reply to this topic...

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Avanti Owners Association International Powered by Invision Community

1 hour ago, mfg said:

Interestingly, the code number assigned to  'Avanti Gold Poly' was the last exterior paint code number (P-6337) assigned to a Studebaker Avanti......The paint code number right before it (P-6336) was assigned to the late '64 Studebaker Avanti color 'Avanti Maroon'.

The code for Avanti Maroon is P6436.

1 hour ago, Regnalbob said:

The code for Avanti Maroon is P6436.

My information comes from late 1965 updates Bob...I believe you're  info came from the '63-'64 time frame.

Also, most of the 1964 Studebaker Avanti colors were 'carryovers'....That's why the 1963 paint formula for (for example) 'Avanti Turquoise' is the same for '63 & '64

That's also why the two 'Avanti Gold' paint codes  seem very curious!

Edited by mfg

Molded Fiberglass supplied fully finished and painted bodies...Studebaker built their own bodies and painted them.  Two different paint processes could account for any visual differences between the same color number.  Just a supposition.

5 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

Molded Fiberglass supplied fully finished and painted bodies...Studebaker built their own bodies and painted them.  Two different paint processes could account for any visual differences between the same color number.  Just a supposition.

That could be for sure......Also, as mentioned before, that original 'Avanti Gold' color seemed to 'wash out' very quickly when exposed to continuous sunlight!......Studebaker possibly felt the color needed to be 'beefed up'... thus the 'Poly' change?   (Frankly, it's a mystery to me!)

"Poly" is short for polychromate. All that is means is it is metallic, nothing else. No secret more durable formula nothing . it is fanciful thinking like saying a McKinnon engine is anything other than a standard 283.  

22 hours ago, brad said:

"Poly" is short for polychromate. All that is means is it is metallic, nothing else. No secret more durable formula nothing . it is fanciful thinking like saying a McKinnon engine is anything other than a standard 283.  

Thanks for this reply... I could be completely wrong about this, but I'll bet the polychromate was a 'fortifier' for this particular Avanti color.

The fact there was two different Avanti Gold codes was probably because the original Avanti Gold would simply not 'stand up'!

The second version, which as we have determined was the exact same color, most probably held up better under the sun's ultra-violet rays.

Remember, both versions were metallic (lacquer) paints.