Gas Tank Removal-any suggestions???

murph the surf

Thank you for the response to my stalling problem.I decided to remove and clean the gas tank in my 63 R1,and it appears to be stuck in place.I have drained the tank,slid the filler neck hose up and away from the tank,removed the fuel lines,as well as loosened the 2 straps that hold the tank in place.All this done,seems like the tank should slide right out,but something appears to be holding it in place that I can't see-seems to be stuck in place. ..Is there anything else that needs to be removed,from the backside,underside,or anywhere where I'm not seeing it??..Any suggestions would be EXTREMELY appreciated!!!   thank you.... Jim

You will need to remove the gas line on the bottom of the tank and then remove the 90 deg fitting also. Otherwise, the tank won't move upward. It's a great chance to replace fuel hose with new FI grade stuff. DRAIN THE TANK FIRST. If it's still stuck, it's being held by something sticky which should let go when you gently pry up on the tank with a plastic or wood wedge.

You will need to drain the tank through the Tee under the door, I think drivers side on the Stude issue. You may need to add slight air pressure to the inlet to be sure the gas is out. 

When you remove the fitting be sure you are outside as you will have a bit of spillage no matter how well you drain the tank.

I pulled the pipe plug and replaced it with a hose nipple and hose into a plastic gasoline tank to drain the Avanti tank.

OOPS, noticed you drained the tank already.

Edited by Avanti83

Thank you, Avanti83!..that must be what I missed-the 90 degree fitting..so appreciated!!...Jim

You've probably already removed the tank, and you may have discovered the following:

Try to siphon as much gas as possible before removing the drain plug under the driver's door.  Unless you install a nipple, the gas will spill onto the frame and create a mess.  By siphoning most of the gas out of the tank beforehand, the container you squeeze under the door may actually hold all the gas that will be pouring out.  (Having a shut-off valve in the fuel line makes this easier). After you have drained the gas from the tank, raise the front of the car a little with a jack.  The fitting under the tank is not centered but located more to the rear.  When the car is lifted, the tank will tilt to drain more gas out of the tank.  Install a plug under the tank before removing the tank and you can proceed without spilling gasoline inside the car.

Thanks,wwundt-taking tank out tonight,and will follow your recommendations!...Much appreciated....Jim

• 1 year later...

Check and see if the cable has unthreaded and pulled away from the speedometer...that happened to me once.  If it's tight the adapter in the transmission has likely broken.

i agree about the neutral safety switch...it either needs adjusting or replacing.