steering r&p conversion

wildfelr

ell The Florida Avanti Club Christmas party was a huge success.  Maureen and I wish to thank Lark and Steve James for making all the arrangements and inviting us into their home in Mt. Dora, Fl...It was wonderful.......So Saturday noon i blew a power steering hose in downtown Mt. Dora....This required a complete change of plan and we missed the second half of the ACOF party that evening.. bummer... We got the car back to Melrose  Fl. on a friends rollback trailer.  (End of chapter one)

I was planning to convert RQB3263 to rack and pinion steering in January anyway...and after looking at a hose change job it looks to me like I better just go ahead and make the conversion...

I would really like to hear from anyone that has made the conversion.....I know your out there, please call my cell 386-466-6434 i'd love to talk to you, get specs,  and see pics of your conversion,...

BEST HOLIDAY WISHES TO ALL and I look forward to hearing from you either in the forum or phone ....BILL GREGG RQB3263 Melrose, Fl

• 1 month later...

The suspension configuration makes it difficult to install R&P steering in a Studebaker.   There are no racks that are short enough to provide proper geometry.   The only real option is to use a rack that attaches the tie rods in the middle instead of at the ends.  Racks of this type were used on some GM front wheel cars in the 80's or 90's.  There may be others but I don't know for sure.  You can do some searching on the Studebaker drivers forum and Racing Studebaker forum and find discussions of this.

I have seen a number of cars done the wrong way and that will result in excessive bump steer.

Yes, good advice from 64avanti; a R&P conversion can and and has been done to Studes and I've done a few myself.

No, it's not easy and done without proper understanding of steering geometry and strength of materials required, can make it drive worse and even be dangerous.

Maybe, since we don't know of a bolt-in kit, do a lot of reading before ripping out what's there.

So Saturday noon i blew a power steering hose in downtown Mt. Dora....This required a complete change of plan and we missed the second half of the ACOF party that evening.. bummer... We got the car back to Melrose  Fl. on a friends rollback trailer.  (End of chapter one)

FWIW, I've emergency-driven a few Studes with inoperative PS.  Why did yours have to get a ride on a rollback?

jack vines