1964 Avanti Claret Color Interior Help

Luma

Looking for help with late 64 Claret Upholstery material and paint or dye for dashboard. Tried Stude International for dashboard dye/paint but no luck . Does anyone know of a material dye or paint or even a formula that matches this color? I find maroons are very hard to duplicate and just can't get it right as I need to change a roll bar cover to match interior and some touch up detail on a dash.

As for Upholstery, I have yards of panel weight, but no upholstery weight. 6 bucket seat bottoms but no tops, back seat sets, pleats and hinge covers but need some top halves or thick upholstery weight material. Will swap or buy outright.

With Avanti's finally getting some serious recognition in the car field, I am surprised that there is not to much available out there for original style interior restorations. Not picking on any material suppliers but I have yet to see a perfectly redone original style interior like Stude did them. The colors are off a bit or the grain is different or to many wrinkles when finished. Naugahyde is still being made but nothing that can fill our void. So many nice cars out there with little interior flaws that could be taken care of with the right products.

On the plus side I just purchased 5569 this past spring that seems to have been hidden for its entire life and shows only 36k miles on it and it may be correct as it is a very nice driving and tight car. I have owned 11 Avanti's over about 40 years and this ones a keeper for sure. But sure would like to fix up those little interior details.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Look at these folks. http://www.leatherique.com/  I sent them a sample of my 83 leather and they matched the color exactly. There other products are also quite good. Be sure you tell them whether it's leather or vinyl. I'm not sure if they do vinyl but if you ask they may know someone. SEM makes great spray vinyl dyes but color choice is limited. I used them on my 74 interior. 

Lastly, ask forum member Brad as he'd in the restoration business. http://bezautoalchemy.com/

Bob 

You will not find a spray in a single can that will match. The reason being is claret is a two stage color. That is the base of maroon is oversprayed with a mottled darker maroon maybe a 1/2 shade darker. A single tone will not look correct. You need to find a paint supplier that can mix a vinyl dye, and save part of that back, and tint it slightly darker, and use that to mist over the first dye. It takes lots of practice, and adjustment of air pressure. Thin the darker overspray more, so it doesn't spatter, it needs to blend a little.

Edited by brad