Avanti Pace Car

murph the surf

While we're talking Indy 500's and Studebaker pacing the '62 race with a Lark Daytona convertible........is the following statement true or false?  :   while unheard of for a car manufacturer to pace Indy for two consecutive years, a Studebaker Avanti was initially selected to be the pace car for the 1963 Indianapolis 500. 

indy 3.jpg

Edited by murph the surf

Correct-the Studebaker Avanti was selected to be the Pace Car for the 1962 Indy,however,the car was not ready on time,and the Lark Daytona ended up as the '62 Pace Car.The Studebaker Avanti became the "honorary" pace car for that race.

Indy 4.jpg

Edited by murph the surf

If you read Bob Palma's article in last month's issue of Hemmings Classic Cars you'll find out that the Lark was always supposed to be the pace car...documents and the time factor involved prove it.  Yes...the Avanti was the honorary pace car but it's a myth it was to be the official pace car and the Lark was a last minute substitution.  The Lark was chosen months before the Avanti was even announced to the public...it was still in secret development.

Hmmm-never saw that article.Just can't imagine that Bill Dredge and Studebaker's PR Department would go to all those lengths to promote a LARK to be an Indy Pace Car-especially with their halo car,the Avanti, well under development and thought to be market ready just before the race . Mr Egbert wanted to have the Avanti 'to market" within one year of Board approval,and knew no time constraints.This would have been approximately April of 1962,and with the 1962 Indy 500 being held on May 30,1962,I would assume that they thought the car would have been ready for the event.I may be wrong,but logic tells me an Indy race would have been just the event to showcase their new performance car,and the Lark was indeed a second choice-but I'll certainly read the article.Thanks,Gunslinger.

Edited by murph the surf