Studebaker Avanti Introduction

murph the surf

True or false??........To introduce the new Studebaker Avanti to Studebaker dealers, a Fairchild C-82 transport plane was used to fly 2 Studebaker Avantis around the country for dealer showings in 24 different cities in 16 days.The plane was a part of a Studebaker Corporation subsidiary.......... 

plane.jpg

Gunslinger is correct that the plane was a part of Studebaker's subsidiary ,Trans International Airlines.Now,anyone,is the statement that the Avantis were flown to 24 different cities in 16 days for dealer showings correct? (would have loved to attended that event,Gunslinger!-has there been any progress with the fuselage restoration of the C-82 with TIA's tail number??)

airlift 2.jpg

Edited by murph the surf
correction

I don't know whether there's been any progress with the fuselage restoration.  The Museum would have to transport the fuselage to Hagerstown for that and I'm not aware that's happened.  They've had a few air/car shows since then but I've been unable to attend to ask any questions.  The last time I was at Hagerstown Regional Airport was in June to take a flight on the Commemorative Air Force's B29 "FIFI"...but that was unaffiliated with the Museum.  

A related trivia question...Studebaker owned Trans International Airlines for several years...who started TIA and remained President while Studebaker owned it?

Kirk Kerkorian.He made out like a bandit,as he sold the airline to Studebaker in 1962 for $10 million,bought it back from them in 1964 when things were bad for Studebaker, then sold it again several years later for an estimated $85 million. This diversification purchase by Mr. Egbert,along with Domowatt, did not work out as anticipated,and undoubtedly led to issues with Studebaker's Board of Directors.

trans.jpg

Edited by murph the surf