Rain Gutter Running Change

murph the surf

Studebaker management's estimated total cost of retrofitting  rain gutters to a customer's Avanti (both parts and labor) was......... 1) $41.00 per car  2) $56.00 per car 3) $20.00 per car..????

2 hours ago, murph the surf said:

Studebaker management's estimated total cost of retrofitting  rain gutters to a customer's Avanti (both parts and labor) was......... 1) $41.00 per car  2) $56.00 per car 3) $20.00 per car..????

This looks like a trick question to me.  Studebaker did not pay for the retrofit of rain gutters to already built cars.  Customers of earlier cars could pay their dealer to have rain gutters installed.   Perhaps there was an estimate of what it would cost if Studebaker paid for the retrofit.  If that is what is desired, I will go with 3) $20 per car (the dealer net cost of the kit was $5.).    

40 minutes ago, studegary said:

This looks like a trick question to me.  Studebaker did not pay for the retrofit of rain gutters to already built cars.  Customers of earlier cars could pay their dealer to have rain gutters installed.   Perhaps there was an estimate of what it would cost if Studebaker paid for the retrofit.  If that is what is desired, I will go with 3) $20 per car (the dealer net cost of the kit was $5.).    

Bingo!!...you are correct at $20 as the estimated cost,and also correct that  Studebaker did not pay for the installation of the rain gutters ,the customer did.Studebaker did ,at a Department heads meeting in early 1963,estimate the cost of such installation,as the Company was considering absorbing the costs of the retrofit. Messrs. Egbert and Minkel were of the opinion the Company should absorb the cost, but,ultimately the decision was made to have the customer pay for the rain gutters and their installation.