Avanti FI

studegary

What was the first model year that Avantis came with fuel injection?  

EDIT:  I am referring to model year production available to the public, not a one off car.

Edited by studegary

2 hours ago, mfg said:

I'd say 1963.....the Bonneville 'Due Cento' Avanti used a Bendix/Novi fuel injection system.

After I posted the question, I thought about the one Avanti that you reference in your response and should have qualified my question to restrict it to production vehicles available to the public.  You posted before I got back to edit, and narrow down, my question.  I will consider your answer "sort of" correct, but incorrect in the spirit of "model year" production.  Please try again with the stated qualifier.

11 hours ago, studegary said:

Incorrect.   (At this point, I sure hope that I am correct with my answer.)

All production Avantis were equipped with carburetors thru 1985, and there was no 1986 model year Avanti, so I guess I'm stumped on this one!

6 hours ago, studegary said:

Thanks Ron.  You are correct!  I didn't expect this one to take two days.  

I must differ with you on this one Gary!.....All 1989 Avantis used throttle body fuel injection as standard equipment, and I believe TBI was standard a year before that!

Were you possibly thinking of 'port' injection??

4 hours ago, mfg said:

I must differ with you on this one Gary!.....All 1989 Avantis used throttle body fuel injection as standard equipment, and I believe TBI was standard a year before that!

Were you possibly thinking of 'port' injection??

Yes, I was thinking more of what we now consider to be fuel injection, not a replacement for a carb.  

I'm not big on semantics arguments but fuel injection to me is adding fuel through injectors. Gm agrees with that from 57 through current as their systems were all called fuel injection. But limiting it to the 80's and 90's, whether it was TBI or TPI their systems use injectors to atomize fuel into an air stream. TBI through the throat of the throttle body and TPI into the runner of the intake manifold. So unless specified otherwise, most folks think that era's FI is either technology.:)

19 minutes ago, Avanti83 said:

I'm not big on semantics arguments but fuel injection to me is adding fuel through injectors. Gm agrees with that from 57 through current as their systems were all called fuel injection. But limiting it to the 80's and 90's, whether it was TBI or TPI their systems use injectors to atomize fuel into an air stream. TBI through the throat of the throttle body and TPI into the runner of the intake manifold. So unless specified otherwise, most folks think that era's FI is either technology.:)

Yes, I agree that the intent of the question wasn't reflected in the wording of the question.  

I just try to put something in Trivia every once in a while so that we don't just have the questions from one person.  I do see and appreciate that someone else has stepped up and offered questions.