New Fuel Tank

wwundt

• 2 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Interested in doing the same!  Where did you get it, what model and ...... info?  

I have found a number of different models that would probably work but a repo of the original would be my first choice!

thanks for any info!

HISTORY

Avanti stainless-steel fuel tanks were virtually sole-sourced from a gentleman in Chicago named George Dimitsas.  I looked for Mr. Dimitsas when I wanted to replace the fuel tank in my 1963 Studebaker Avanti.  Advertisements in club publications that listed his address and telephone number yielded nothing. Dimitsas had disappeared and nobody knew of his whereabouts.

I called Don Simmons in Ontario, Canada, to see if he perhaps had a source for a stainless-steel tank.  Simmons informed me that Dimitsas had moved to Tennessee and gave me his address and telephone number.

I called Dimitsas and he said he no longer had any Studebaker Avanti fuel tanks, but somewhere back in a warehouse in Chicago he thought he may still have one very last Avanti-II Stainless-Steel tank.  If I didn’t mind making some plumbing changes it could be adapted to fit in my Studebaker Avanti.  I wanted it; I bought it; I intended to install it in my Studebaker Avanti. But before I could get around to it, I bought an Avanti-II and my fortuitous purchase was destined for RQB-3430.

I pulled the old tank out, and installed the new Dimitsas tank. It is a perfect duplicate of the original – in stainless steel. Stainless-steel fittings were sourced, all hoses were replaced with new ethanol-resistant hoses and new clamps.

I would still like to replace the original tank in my Studebaker Avanti. If anybody out there finds a source for a quality stainless steel replacement, please share.

Edited by wwundt
format

Thanks for the info, I talked to George via email and found out he didn’t have any more available.  

Looks like I may be looking into other aftermarket universal tanks !  Mine had a leak, but fixed that, but needs to be re-vented to accommodate the electric fuel pump and return line!  I need to install a new fuel sending unit and will check the tanks condition at that time, but considering the age, would prefer to start with a new tank and go from there!

Did you try Nostalgic Motors? How about a want ad on this venue?

I bought one from Nostalgic back in the mid 1980's. But it is not stainless steel. I think I paid in excess of $400 for it at the time, because they were rare even back then. It was meant for a later model (provisions for a filler pipe intended for unleaded fuel), the only type of tank available at the time, so it would probably require some filler-related alterations for use in an earlier Avanti. I haven't used it yet, and probably won't (I live in CA now), because I've long since sold the Avanti I thought might need it some day. Perhaps you'd like to make me an offer (offline).

Or, there are "universal" fuel tanks available that could be researched for size and modified by a radiator repair shop to add/swap-in the external "plumbing" needed by the Avanti. For example: http://www.yogisinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=13671/category_id=2566/mode=prod/prd13671.htm

21 hours ago, WayneC said:

Did you try Nostalgic Motors? How about a want ad on this venue?

I bought one from Nostalgic back in the mid 1980's. But it is not stainless steel. I think I paid in excess of $400 for it at the time, because they were rare even back then. It was meant for a later model (provisions for a filler pipe intended for unleaded fuel), the only type of tank available at the time, so it would probably require some filler-related alterations for use in an earlier Avanti. I haven't used it yet, and probably won't (I live in CA now), because I've long since sold the Avanti I thought might need it some day. Perhaps you'd like to make me an offer (offline).

Or, there are "universal" fuel tanks available that could be researched for size and modified by a radiator repair shop to add/swap-in the external "plumbing" needed by the Avanti. For example: http://www.yogisinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=13671/category_id=2566/mode=prod/prd13671.htm

Thanks Wayne, 

After the holidays I will tackle my sending unit and examine my tank.  If replacement is in order I will certainly get with you and see if we can work a deal!  I do feel working with a new/ correct (OEM) tank would be a benefit and make the job easier and be correct and more original than using a custom universal tank and adapting a lot. Of things!  Mine is a 74 model, but I have a TBI unit, electric pump and already use unleaded fuel anyway so that should not be an issue.  Thanks for the info, and offer,! 

I will get back with you soon!  Have a happy holiday season, merry Christmas!

• 1 month later...

Finally got my tank out and it was in great shape!  Installed a newer float-less  sending unit and added a vent line and added some insulation around the tank area!  Found the old sending unit was working,  but not sure the cork floats were actually floating anymore!  But ready to test it out and seal up the rear comprent!  Appears my gauge was going bad and will be chasing the dash and gauge clean up as the next project!