Balancer to PS ram clearance

Ron Dame

As I get closer to starting R1092, I notice that there is very little clearance between the harmonic balancer and the power steering ram, maybe 1/4"  This is an R2. Is this typical or have my engine mounts compressed beyond usable?

Thanks. I'll be ready to try and start it this afternoon then! I still have to reinstall the fuel tank, the carb and pump have fresh kits, new rubber hoses, fresh oil change, supercharger belts removed for now.

“The number 60 is significant because it identifies this as an Avanti motor mount. Other motor mounts look like this, but have a white “40” stamped on them that identify them as for other Studebaker models. The flared outer end is the side that rests on the metal support member and the number “60” will be right side up.” Avanti Authenticity Manual

image.png.8ab88e7b04295c12d359c52c445b6134.png  

Here is a relevant quote from the forum.  Search this topic and you will see some pictures that Matthew Frushour posted with his comment.

Matthew Frushour – “The thick front motor mount was the stock mount for the R1 and R2 the R3 got the shorter motor mount. I tried to use the shorter ones in my car and I ran into steering clearance problems.... the left tie rod was hitting the header pipe! Also the main crank pulley rubbed on the power steering ball joint!”  

I'm also using the ONE modified motor mount from Jon Myers  (drilled for the through-bolt). My memory is this modified front engine mount is installed on the driver's side. The through-bolt keeps the motor mount rubber from separating under repeated and/or extreme torque or wind-up, when revving the engine. The passenger's side front motor mount is the stock #60 item, with no through-bolt, since it isn't subjected to the "tearing" force from engine torque. John

On 11/2/2017 at 1:47 PM, wwundt said:

“The number 60 is significant because it identifies this as an Avanti motor mount. Other motor mounts look like this, but have a white “40” stamped on them that identify them as for other Studebaker models. The flared outer end is the side that rests on the metal support member and the number “60” will be right side up.” Avanti Authenticity Manual

image.png.8ab88e7b04295c12d359c52c445b6134.png  

This is interesting!....Did Studebaker use this # 60 mount (with the thru bolt) to eliminate any chance of the molded-in studs on normal( # 40 mounts) pulling out due to the increased power of Avanti-type engines?......The installed height of the two seem to be equal.

"The driver’s side front engine mount is the nemesis of every V-8 powered Studebaker, the Avanti no exception. Due to the torque applied to the driver’s side (left) front engine mount under heavy acceleration, the engine will twist and the front engine mount shears. Then, every time you stomp on it, the engine twists with catastrophic consequences: cracking the hood, breaking the distributor cap on the engine bay firewall. From the Studebaker Forum: “My experience, once ‘broken’ (vulcanized rubber separated), the motor will most always lift 1/2" or so when under hard acceleration and can be felt it in the gas pedal as the motor rises then re-settles.”  Studebaker trucks use a different mount, one with a bolt that goes all the way through to tie the engine down to the mounts."  

The motor mount issue is very confusing.  The Avanti parts manual shows 533296 for the Avanti mounts which is the same part number for other V8s. Was there a service letter or some other document listing this change? Where did the info come from that went into the authenticity guide?

Turns out my left mount was bad, probably the right too. Once I got it running and revved it a bit, the rubber fell out and the engine settled with the pulley on the ram. That sounded awful! It seems like every bit of rubber on this car is rotten, so I'll do the transmission mount,control arm bushings, spring bushings, roll bar bushings.. what else (yeah, all the window and door rubber too)

To clarify my earlier posting: The driver's side motor mount (with the thru-bolt) I'm using was purchased from Jon Meyer. At the time, I had the understanding  he modified and drilled the stock (no thru-bolt) #60 motor mount to accommodate the use of the bolt. It really is a good idea, that addresses the stock mount separation issue quite well. John

I am of the opinion that the through bolt is a good idea. However, I can find no document indicating a difference between Avanti and other V8 motor mounts. Other than the authenticty guide I also see no reference to #60 motor mounts for Avanti or #40 for other V8s. Can anyone provide a Studebaker document clarifying this?

On 11/5/2017 at 12:39 PM, Jolly-John said:

I'm also using the ONE modified motor mount from Jon Myers  (drilled for the through-bolt). My memory is this modified front engine mount is installed on the driver's side. The through-bolt keeps the motor mount rubber from separating under repeated and/or extreme torque or wind-up, when revving the engine. The passenger's side front motor mount is the stock #60 item, with no through-bolt, since it isn't subjected to the "tearing" force from engine torque. John

Wouldn't the solid bolt create a noticeable vibration inside your Avanti at times?

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:56 PM, mfg said:

Wouldn't the solid bolt create a noticeable vibration inside your Avanti at times?

I understand the logic of what you're suggesting. But, I can tell you that using this thru-bolt motor mount on the driver's side has created ABSOLUTELY NO FEELING of engine vibration inside my Avanti. I'm pretty sensitive to this kind of thing, and would not have kept this motor mount installed, if it had produced such a result. Also, it's hard to imagine John Myer marketing (for many years) a modified motor mount like this, if it transmitted engine vibration to the interior. 

I can only add that I've had this thru-bolt, left motor mount on my Avanti for over 15 years with no issues of any kind that I can discern.  I'm not here to convince anybody of anything....just passing along my first-hand experience. Obviously, each guy will do what he feels is best. John 

Edited by Jolly-John

49 minutes ago, Jolly-John said:

I understand the logic of what you're suggesting. But, I can tell you that using this thru-bolt motor mount on the driver's side has created ABSOLUTELY NO FEELING of engine vibration inside my Avanti. I'm pretty sensitive to this kind of thing, and would not have kept this motor mount installed, if it had produced such a result. Also, it's hard to imagine John Myer marketing (for many years) a modified motor mount like this, if it transmitted engine vibration to the interior. 

I can only add that I've had this thru-bolt, left motor mount on my Avanti for over 15 years with no issues of any kind that I can discern.  I'm not here to convince anybody of anything....just passing along my first-hand experience. Obviously, each guy will do what he feels is best. John 

i think it's a great idea...a driver's side engine mount separating under extreme engine torque is a bad situation on many fronts!!