Recommended Tire Pressure?

TED DIMON

I have 205/70R15"s on my 1969.  I have no idea what the proper tire pressure should be for these tires.  Currently I have 30psi cold in them as my best guess.
Am I even close to the proper pressure?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Look on the tire sidewalls...there should be information telling you the maximum cold air pressure.  It could be 35, 44 or even over 50 psi depending on the brand.  

I keep air pressure towards the higher end for better tire wear but that also sacrifices a bit of ride quality.  One additional bit of advice...I've found keeping 4psi less in the rear tires compared to the front helps handling due the the front weight bias of the Avanti.

17 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

Look on the tire sidewalls...there should be information telling you the maximum cold air pressure.  It could be 35, 44 or even over 50 psi depending on the brand.  

I keep air pressure towards the higher end for better tire wear but that also sacrifices a bit of ride quality.  One additional bit of advice...I've found keeping 4psi less in the rear tires compared to the front helps handling due the the front weight bias of the Avanti.

Thanks for this great information.  However, I am reluctant to inflate any where near the maximum since this can quickly wear out the center treads.
Therefore, I'll do 36psi in the front and 32psi in the rear and see if the ride is too rough and I'll watch for uneven wear.

Has anyone found a better psi level for inflation?  I am riding on  Michelins

47 minutes ago, Jolly-John said:

Hi, Ted. I'm not an out and out "performance-type" Avanti owner. That said, I've had good luck with 32 p.s.i. all around. John

This is very close to what most car mfrs recommend for their passenger radial tires.
If this has worked for you on your Avanti, then I'll try 32psi and see how it works.
Thanks for your input!

• 2 months later...

Many thanks for all your good suggestions.
I'll try the 32 front and 30 rear and see if there
is a difference.  All of my driving for now is 
strictly around town until I am sure the car is 
truly road worthy.  There are still some things 
that have to be done mechanically.