rocker box mystery

StudeNorm

Here is a weird one...

I noticed an object inside the right hog trough a while ago and when I tried to get it out I found it was too big to fit through the hole.  I ended up breaking it apart to remove and it turned out to be a hazel nut or maybe filbert.  The other night I found another.  I wonder if they were dragged inside when they were small and green and as they dried out they expanded? Does that happen?  This car is from southern California and was restored in 1985/6.  I got it from the fellow who bought it from the restorer.  There is no indication that the troughs are anything but original so this may be a mystery without a solution.  Or is there another way into the troughs that I don't know about?  Ideas?

IMG_20170918_171611.jpg

IMG_20170918_171709.jpg

I guess I can answer this one myself.  Since the car is up on the hoist I just stepped into the garage and had a look along the troughs. There is an opening about 6 inches from the back that is more than big enough to allow a critter to get into the void and start stock piling.  I am now wondering what else may be in there...  Time to get the boroscope out!

Well what do you know?  A few more filberts, some sticks and spider webs and the remains of a small blue bird... I won't even venture a guess.  Interesting little excursion.  I can't seem to get the scope to make the bend in the left trough so I have no idea what might be down that side.  Mystery over.

This is what I found in my 73. I new it had crap in it, but was surprised to see this. This is the pass side and was not rusted out, but I had to do the driver side  due to rust. Did them both with new so I will not have to worry about them again.

IMG_0975 (002).JPG

IMG_0977 (002).JPG

• 1 month later...

I'm planning to clean my boxes out and coat them...I don't have a hoist, just jack stands. Where are the best access points? Do I need to use a hole saw anywhere to gain good access?

Edited by Ron Dame

On 11/3/2017 at 11:22 AM, Ron Dame said:

I'm planning to clean my boxes out and coat them...I don't have a hoist, just jack stands. Where are the best access points? Do I need to use a hole saw anywhere to gain good access?

There's some good info here

http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtechoct2014p1.html#HogTroughs

On 11/3/2017 at 10:22 AM, Ron Dame said:

There are two excellent articles in Avanti Magazine issue #134, Spring/Summer 2006.   if you don't have the actual magazine, you can can purchase the digital download or buy a complete color reprint at this link: https://view.joomag.com/mag/0026380001481414964