Pertronix ignitor

steve remick

Steve

FWIW, I have installed seven Pertronix Ignitors dating back to the early nineties.  Three in Ford V8s and four in Studebakers.  They have all been the original Ignitors, not the II or III versions.

The first one went into a 429 SCJ engine and I couldn't get it to run properly because it would surge slightly enough to be annoying, so I removed it and put in a Accel distributor instead.  Later on I installed that same unit in a 289 SBF and it ran fine.  Next I put one in a 351 C and it ran fine.  Then I put one in a 289 Stude (64 Cruiser) and it was fine.  Then another in a 289 Stude (61 Hawk) and it was fine.  The next one went into a 289 Stude (Champ PU) and it was NOT fine. I couldn't get it to run at all.  It would just pop occasionally, so I removed it and just put the points back in and it started right up and ran great.  The last one I installed was last year into the 327 SBC in our Avanti II and it's OK so far.  So that's my history with Pertronix.  I have been told that they are made in China now, but I can't verify it.

Dean

Thanks Deano for your input. Much appreciated.  The first set I had (Pertronix) was good for 6 years, then last year it crapped out on me. I got the second one last June.  It was fine until a month ago. I would get a occasional cough when driving. I'm going to look at the wires(spark plug) next.

Steve  

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2017 at 10:59 AM, steve remick said:

Thanks Deano for your input. Much appreciated.  The first set I had (Pertronix) was good for 6 years, then last year it crapped out on me. I got the second one last June.  It was fine until a month ago. I would get a occasional cough when driving. I'm going to look at the wires(spark plug) next.

Steve  

Followup to this story.  I put in new spark plug wires.  Didn't start at all, the Pertronix died. I got 1 year out of it. It's under a 30 month warranty so I got a free replacement. Fast forward, put the Pertronix in.  Car started, but ran like CRAP! Found out the spark plug wires were JUNK!  NAPA replaced them and I'm back in business.:unsure: 

• 2 months later...

Steve Remick...I too had a problem with the engine coughing when driving, so I bought a second Pertronix ignitor then noticed in the instructions:

Many vehicles came equipped with ballast resistor or resistance wire. To achieve optimum performance from the Ignitor ignition system, we recommend the removal of these components.

So on the second install, I bypassed the ballast resistor and the problem went away.  Here's a link to the installation instructions:

http://www.pertronix.com/docs/instruction-sheets/1181.pdf

Hope this helps.  Stu

I have read on various forums of ones having mixed results with Pertronix systems.  So far in all my vehicles I have nothing but good results.  All mine  are in either Delco "window" distributors or the original dual point distributors that now seem to offer offshore points that are junk, that I tired of having break down on me without any notice.  Those now run Pertronix systems also.  The last one I bought is now resting in my 59 Lark Wagon waiting for me to finish moving to another state & resuming it's build.  That one has the "window" distributor & the Pertronix III system.

Every Pertronix module I have used has eventually failed. Of course, this almost always happens when you're tooling down the road....a distance from home. The last one failed for me in a 1950 Buick, driving down the interstate highway around Boston, MA. I was about 1,300 miles from home, having driven that distance to attend a Buick Club of America national meet in the Boston area. Traffic is whizzing by, and I've got the hood up, installing the old points and condenser that, OF COURSE, I'd learned to keep in the glove box. The car ran great all the way back home (as they are able to, even using those terrible, obsolete things called "points"). After this last failure episode, I've said, "the heck with Pertronix".

I agree with Warren's comments about the quality of most new ignition points available today. However, I've found the ones from NAPA to be generally good. Plus, I do watch for good spares at old car swap meets, where new-old-stock, made in U.S.A. points still turn up.  It's more "work" than ordering something online, but you'll probably enjoy the day at the swap meet, and be able to see exactly what you're buying. Just my experience and opinion, of course. John

Edited by Jolly-John

The only thing a Pertronix system does is replace the points for switching the coil. The coil output remains the same as before. For a strong ignition, you need a capacitive discharge setup, and or a higher output coil. My favorite Stude setup is to use a Chrysler hall effect trigger to trigger an MSD 6AL box to a E core Coil. The voltage TO THE COIL is 400 volts. The voltage out is 40,000. Three sparks per firing of the cylinder to help keep misfirings from occuring.