steering box rebuild

Bocarman

Does anyone have information on who can rebuild the steering box on my 1971 Avanti 11 ? Can you get rebuilt ones , or do I have to take mine off and send it off? I sure do need some help on this . Thanks Al Morris (RQ-B1682).

What symtoms are you finding? excessive slop in steering wheel?  You need a helper to turn the steering wheel while you look for lost motion. It could be worn center steer bushings,adjustment of the box, lack of fluid in the box?   Lou Cote

I have rebuilt many a box. But you can do it yourself, or any good mechanic can. The replacement parts are usually just the shaft bushings, and end balls, and shaft seals. If the worm gear or pin bearings are bad, then it becomes harder to find those parts. SI sells the shaft bearings, but they are too long, so must be modified, and after pressing into place, the oil hole has to be bored through. 

IMG_3584.JPG

The car was driven when low or out of gear oil in the steering box. It has a definite pull and flat spot when turning left. So, I would think the worm gear is worn in one place. I have adjusted the drag or resistance on the box at the adjustment nut, so the car drives,but not real happy about the handling. The front end parts seem in to have been rebuilt when previous owners redid the car some years ago.So.....

Brad, 

Any chance you can go into detail or point is at an article or guide? 

The box on my '66 has a huge amount of play in the output shaft which can't be good but I don't want to take something apart I don't know how to put back together! 

• 3 years later...

I just had the gear box on my '71 Avanti rebuilt - bushings were shot, which resulted in steering slop. This on the heels of a new rag joint, king pins (see photo below), and a rebuilt bell crank. But finally after almost four years, the steering is where it should be at all speeds!  

576BB225-B914-4583-A234-AD11FBF51BEE.jpeg