Electrical System - wiring a new coil and resistor

wwundt

I replaced the coil in R4415 with a new-old-stock coil from SI.  At the same time I also installed a new resistor.  I tagged the wiring so I would know what went where, but one of the wires escaped and I don't know if I re-attached it where it should be.

When I turn on the ignition and try to start the engine, the starter does not work.  If I jump the starter solenoid, the starter works.  Since I haven't messed with the starter solenoid, my problem must be with how I wired the new coil and resistor.

I am attaching some photos.  Can anybody point out what I did wrong?

coil 1.JPG

coil 2.jpg

If you can activate the starter solenoid remotely as reported and cannot activate the starter solenoid from the ignition switch, either the ingnition switch is bad, or the gear selector netural switch is bad or the lines to the solenoid are open.  The coil negative side goes to the distributor points and also feeds the line to the tachometer.  The positive side of the coil receives direct B+ from a line from the solenoid only when the solenoid is activated.  That's the green/black tracer line.  The + side of the coil also receives voltage from the dropping resistor and the other side of the dropping resistor receives full B+ from the ignition (run side) or "on" side of the ignition switch.

On 7/24/2017 at 8:39 AM, Avanti-Tom said:

If you can activate the starter solenoid remotely as reported and cannot activate the starter solenoid from the ignition switch, either the ingnition switch is bad, or the gear selector netural switch is bad or the lines to the solenoid are open.  The coil negative side goes to the distributor points and also feeds the line to the tachometer.  The positive side of the coil receives direct B+ from a line from the solenoid only when the solenoid is activated.  That's the green/black tracer line.  The + side of the coil also receives voltage from the dropping resistor and the other side of the dropping resistor receives full B+ from the ignition (run side) or "on" side of the ignition switch.

Thanks!   Made the correction and the starter now works.

Warren