Which Year to Buy?

Ric

Looking to buy an Avanti that I can drive and keep repaired fairly easily.  Is having the GM frame a good thing in comparison to the Lark frame?  I like the chrome bumpers better than the painted ones, can chrome bumpers be put on the GM frame cars?  That is really my issue, it seems the GM frame is only with painted bumpers.  What else should I be considering?  Thanks.

For a complete GM frame/chassis, you are limited to 1987-1991 and 2001-2004.

You can NOT realistically put chrome bumpers on these cars.

Edited by studegary

With the GM chassis you will get better handling and ride, 1950's technology compared to 1980's technology. Most mechanics can work on the GM chassis, not always the case on the Lark chassis. Parts for the GM chassis are still common as are performance parts.

Not sure on all late model Avantis but my body is cut away below the bumper, making installation of chrome bumpers an expensive modification.

393705970.jpg

Good luck,

Jim Wood

The brakes on my 1987 Avanti are the same as the 1987 Monte Carlo. I installed aftermarket SBC dual piston calipers, pads and Raybestos slotted rotors. That combo took off another 20 feet at 40 mph.  A rear disc kit is available for the '87 also.

Jim Wood

• 3 years later...

Is it possible, or I should say easily doable, to replace the rectangular headlight assembly used in the 1984-85 Blake Avanti's with the round light in a rectangular bezel/lens assembly used on the 1964-83 Avanti's?

I like the overall look of the '84's and '85's, but my eye keeps getting hung up on the headlight shape.

14 hours ago, drn1965 said:

Is it possible, or I should say easily doable, to replace the rectangular headlight assembly used in the 1984-85 Blake Avanti's with the round light in a rectangular bezel/lens assembly used on the 1964-83 Avanti's?

I like the overall look of the '84's and '85's, but my eye keeps getting hung up on the headlight shape.

I can't answer the question but if they will work, there is an Avanti II being parted out in the for sale section near the bottom if you need parts.

16 hours ago, drn1965 said:

For any of these headlight style conversions, it is always easiest if you have an entire center, front section to exchange.  

Thanks studegary and IndyJimW.

I found a photo of car that is either a pre-'84 Avanti II modified with a post-'84 bumper fascia, or a post-'84 Avanti with pre-'84 headlights and bezels...also attached is an '84 with its stock headlights and bezels.

84Avanticustom.jpg

84Avantilight.jpg

I would think that the square bezels with the round headlight buckets would bolt in. If you want the original round 1963 headlights you would have to replace the body and buckets.

Good luck,

Jim Wood