SBC serpentine belt kit

IndyJimW

Installed the GM serpentine belt kit in my '87 Avanti, it will fit almost all Chevy Small Blocks. It came with all bolts, braces, brackets, P/S pump, water pump, A/C compressor, CS130 alternator, pulleys and belt. Everything worked fine until the 115 amp alternator decided to go nuclear, 165 amps and 17.0 volts!

This kit cleans up the engine compartment and moves the new R134a A/C compressor to the passenger side so I'll have to have some new hoses made up. I will post some pictures later.

Jim Wood

I'm interested in seeing photos of the installation. My '70 in the rebuild shop is going to get a new crate engine with the mini a/c compressor. I'm considering the serpentine belt kit, but don't yet know about the money for doing that. Once I see how the setup looks, it will be easier to made that decision.

Looking forward to seeing it.

The kit sounds cool ... its always nice to simplify things a bit.

Sounds like the internal regulator went ... easy fix. ;)

Tom

Not easy, nuclear as in melt down. You don't get numbers like that without alot of heat, fried the alternator. Easy as in warranty.

I also installed a Edelbrock intake manifold, the OEM intake was pitted so bad at the water jackets it wouldn't seal. Runs much better now. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Here are some pictures of the serpentine belt install on my SBC engine. I've driven a couple of hundred miles now and am very pleased with the results. That modern alternator works much better at charging at low speeds and there is plenty of room for the battery now. The only thing that you have to do that is not in the instructions is add a 50 ohm resister in one of the alternator wires to replace the missing idiot light. I still need to do some finishing wiring and move some of the air pump components. I havn't finished the A/C yet either, need to have shorter hoses made up.

Before drivers side:

138875730.jpg

After drivers side:

188925786.jpg

Before passenger side:

138875747.jpg

After passenger side:

188925777.jpg

Jim

Here are some pictures of the serpentine belt install on my SBC engine. I've driven a couple of hundred miles now and am very pleased with the results. That modern alternator works much better at charging at low speeds and there is plenty of room for the battery now. The only thing that you have to do that is not in the instructions is add a 50 ohm resister in one of the alternator wires to replace the missing idiot light. I still need to do some finishing wiring and move some of the air pump components. I havn't finished the A/C yet either, need to have shorter hoses made up.

Before drivers side:

138875730.jpg

After drivers side:

188925786.jpg

Before passenger side:

138875747.jpg

After passenger side:

188925777.jpg

Jim

It looks like the electric fan went a long way towards cleaning up the engine compartment!

Charlie RQB-3921

Looks very nice, clean installation. I personally love the single serpentine belt

over the multiple belts. The downside is if it breaks, you lose everything. That

is the NICE thing about the LT1 engine, the water pump is driven off a gear out

the timing cover, so if you break the serpentine belt, you only lose powersteering

alt and your A/C - but you can still get where your going - as long as the battery

holds out!

Tom