Halibrand Wheels

marc212

post-10698-0-75327000-1479899791_thumb.jpgI was thrilled to see the cover the latest Avanti Magazine with Randy Rapp's amazing first production R3 on the cover. Randy's car had the correct reproduction Halibrand wheels from Real Rodders and they looked spectacular. We all remember for how many years so many of us looked for a set of the original wheels (of which I have a set), but even after acquiring them, could not use them since the magnesium was likely to be brittle.

I was instrumental in having these wheels reproduced. Real Rodders is nearing the end of the run that was made and there will not likely be another production run. Soon, these wheels too will be collectors items.

Marc

• 3 weeks later...

A fellow (whom I've never met) called me a few months ago and mentioned he had purchased a '64 Studebaker Avanti which I owned years ago.....And he had just received a set of the repo Halibrands for the car.....I can't wait to see a photo of my old 'Avanti Red' '64 with those cool mags installed!

What is the history of the Halibrand wheels with the Avanti? Were they a factory option or were they just a racing wheel that got used for the speed records? They look good on the car for sure, just curious how it got started.

Peddler

They were an authorized option for the Avanti. I'm not sure they were a "factory installed" option but they were at minimum an authorized dealer option to be sold at point of purchase.

As far as I know the Halibrand wheels were a dealer installed factory option in 1963 and 1964. There is an old thread that explores the subject, as well as available alternatives, "Halibrand wheels for studebaker 1963/64", try searching for that.

Attached is an old ad for the wheels. These are the correct wheels for the car.

post-10698-0-26894000-1481506212_thumb.jpg

Check out pages H-252 through H-255 in the new Avanti Authenticity Manual. In it, you will read that Halibrand magnesium wheels were offered as a dealer-installed option that listed for $287.50. There is also a reprinted Halibrand Wheel full page ad from 1962 in these pages, as well as an old old Car Life magazine article.

Here's the ordering information: 1963/1964 Studebaker Avanti Authenticity Manual

I ordered the Authenticity Manual last week, as soon as I get it I will check out those pages.

Peddler, your book was mailed from Arizona on Saturday, so you should have it in a day or two.

• 2 weeks later...

All Magnesium will get brittle with age. It is also very good for starting a fire! The originals need to be coated to prevent thest problems. I bought mine 25 years ago from Ron Hall. They were coated with a grey color paint. They were not designed to last 50 years! See number 9 below. 

15272041_10154524551675395_989820691678114616_o (1).jpg

Edited by abasile

• 4 months later...

The problem with magnesium is corrosion that weakens it.  It is not an age thing other than if the wheel is not properly cared for then it will start to corrode and it will get worse with time.

Not that this has a lot to do with the subject at hand, but the comment on how magnesium being good to start a fire is very true...ever hear of magnesium flares?  They burn hot and bright.  The Brits found out during the Falklands War that their ships with magnesium superstructures burned quite intensely when hit by bombs or cruise missiles.  I'm not saying this is a serious issue to consider with auto wheels, but magnesium has advantages but also some bad disadvantages.

Magnesium, once on fire will create its own oxygen and cannot be put out with water or the usual extinguisher.   This was first found out in fires on early aircraft landing gear.  Those new versions of the Halibrand design are sure to be all aluminum..