I'd sure like to know!.....

mfg

We've discussed the handsome Studebaker Avanti "AVANTI TURQUOISE" exterior paint color on other threads, however, there's one more question concerning this color that 'bugs' me!!!...

Studebaker strongly advertised that R-M (Rinshed Mason) lacquer paint was applied to Avantis during factory production.

In my own experience, I've never used, or even seen, R-M brand 'Avanti Turquoise' paint in the aftermarket.....My own painting experience with the 'Avanti Turquoise' color has been with the use of either Ditzler (now PPG) or Dupont lacquer paints.

Fact is....the Ditzler version of 'Avanti Turquoise' had/has an overwhelming BLUEISH tone to it..........The Dupont version of 'Avanti Turquoise' was/is more of a SILVERY BLUE with GREENISH highlights under certain lighting conditions.

MY QUESTION!!...........Which version, Ditzler or Dupont, was/is closest in appearance to the look of the R-M brand lacquer paint which Studebaker originally used on these unique automobiles???

(I have a personal preference to the Dupont version of 'Avanti Turquoise', but that isn't the point....I'd simply like to know which color was/is closer to the original Studebaker Avanti "look"?........Opinions welcome!)

I don't know the answer to your question...but Molded Fiberglass supplied painted bodies to Studebaker. When Studebaker began their own assembly line of Avanti bodies did they use the same brand paint as MFG? If they used a different supplier the formulation could be slightly different. Was R-M a factory supplier only or to body shops as well?

I guess it's just another of the questions we may not know the answer to when it comes to the Avanti.

I don't know the answer to your question...but Molded Fiberglass supplied painted bodies to Studebaker. When Studebaker began their own assembly line of Avanti bodies did they use the same brand paint as MFG? If they used a different supplier the formulation could be slightly different. Was R-M a factory supplier only or to body shops as well?

I guess it's just another of the questions we may not know the answer to when it comes to the Avanti.

You're probably correct. I guess I'd have to find an original Studebaker Avanti that's never been refinished, which happens to have been painted 'Avanti Turquoise'.

(and the original paint would need to have been maintained in good condition!) Probably not going to happen!

Hi. R-M was a high quality paint line that was definitely available to body shops and consumers. In the 1970's and 1980's, I could go into one of our local auto parts supply stores (also an R-M paint dealer) and buy any R-M paint product I wanted. So, they supplied OEM, the body shop trade, and the consumer market. I shouldn't be writing in the past tense, however. R-M as a paint brand is about 95 years old, and is still marketed by BASF. They bought R-M some time ago.

Old R-M paint chip sheets still show up on eBay every once in awhile. I also see the big R-M paint chip books at swap meets every once in awhile. If you found an R-M one for1963 or 1964 Stude, perhaps the shade of Avanti Turquoise shown would bring an answer your question. Good luck. John

63R3152 is a documented low mileage original Avanti turquoise color owned at one time by Jim McCuan and sold a couple of years back on Ebay. If the owner could be located it could be scanned for color and the formula compared to the original color mixes to see what it was shot with.

Edited by Avanti83

Back in the 60's & 70's I worked for my father in his body shop. My experience back then was DuPont was the worst, Ditzler was better but didn't give a satisfactory match all the time but R-M did.

At the time there was a DuPont paint plant in nearby Sayreville. We had a couple of customers that worked there & the funny thing was, they asked what brand of paint did we use. When they were told R-M they said "good cause we know first hand how our paint is mixed!" I always preferred the factory packaged paint, eliminating the chance of human error in a jobber store environment. Finding that now will be like winning the Irish Sweepstakes. (do they even have that anymore?)