Wheel wells cut?

A83

My 83 came with a new 350 engine and new front end I have 15 inch tires but I noticed the front fender wells have been shaved off so there is no lip like around the back wheels - any reason someone would do this? Is the wheel well now weaker? There is no overseeing of anything.

Thanks

Kevin A83

If there's no lip rolling under the fender, then it is definitely weaker. Might just flutter in the wind turbulence when driving at speed. I can't comment on how the bodies of an 83 were manufactured, but the lore is that by 1983, he factory did some of its best work on these cars. The seams were tight, tolerances close and very professional fit and finish. Hard to believe there wouldn't be any reinforcement behind the fender

My 83 is setting on the hoist for winter. It is original as far as I know. I can post a picture or two if you want to compare yours.

BTW, I agree with the 83 is better comment. My 74 is a kit car assembled a high school class compared to my 83.

Bob

RQB3263 BILL....The latest issue of Avanti Magazine has a featured article about a highly modified Avanti which incorporates excellent fender flairs...The pics indicate that a whole lot of thinking and skillful workmanship went into this body modification but then thats true of the entire project. its perty extreme....The wheel well flairs look awesome and to copy this would not be a sin...I sure would as they probably could not be improved on..especially if the openings have already been butchered...ittl be a lot of work but the finished product will look great on any modified Avanti...it will prob req wider rims and low profile tires to go with the flairs...(snowball effect)...its a long cold winter.... BILL RQB3263

RQB3263 This web site might help you get it right when changing wheel ans tire sizes...it did me ...avoid costly mistakes...

<www.calculation.com/calculator/tire-size.php>

Finally remembered to take the picture of the front wheel well on my 83. A little hard to see but there is a lip at 90 deg to the fender all the way around the opening. It's about 3/4" or so wide.

If your's is missing you might want to epoxy a metal rod around the inside edge of the opening and then glass that in.

Bob

IMG_20161127_142055300_zpsoc4s5xcj.jpg

Edited by Avanti83

• 2 weeks later...

RQB3263 This web site might help you get it right when changing wheel ans tire sizes...it did me ...avoid costly mistakes...

<www.calculation.com/calculator/tire-size.php>

Seems to be a bad link, perhaps this is it: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Here's one I like: http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp