Vertical Placement of the Rear View Mirror

TMA62

I am re-positioning my rear view mirror to the top center portion my my windshield. My Dad originally placed the mirror at center bottom to make it look similar to the 63-64 Studebakers. But.....you really can not see will at all when the mirror is that low.

I recall seeing a technical or service memo relating to the factory placement of the rear view mirror for top center. How far down from the top of the windshield should the center of the mirror base be cemented?

Thanks in advance!

I have the information but can't access it as everything is stored away due to renovations going on. There is a factory letter stating exactly where to position it from the top. I hope someone who has quick access to it can answer your question.

From the service letter.

"Locate and mark a spot on the outside of the windshield that is on the vertical centerline of the glass and 3 &1/2 inches down from the upper windshield weatherseal."

Thanks! I will likely find my service letter tonight as I look for something else.

RQB3263 81/305....This might be an easy one.....I thought about moving my mirror up also for better eye level viewing....especially after installing the BMW330 bucket seats that raised me up maybe 2 inches above with the original seats....the fix was quick and easy....rotate the mirror 180 degrees...this will effectively raise it up 2+ inches and get it in proper visual alignment.... took 1 min. and worked great for me ....BILL RQB3263

I also am curious as to a good way to remove the mount....using a heat gun on the glass to soften the adhesive makes me nervous....the plastic layer between the 2 layers of glass is now 47 years old and I'd hate to make it start turning white.

Agree that in the stock location it is hard to see behind you.

Mike S

RQA0330

RQB3263...before you go to all that trouble rotate the mirror and the stem extension 180 degrees and see if that position doesn't work better for yoy...It should raise the mirror up between 3 and 4 inches...super simple ...Bill...RQB3263