Heater Hose Pipe

JWL1940

Part of the rejunivation of 4541 was replacing the radiator and heater hoses. The heater hoses must have been original or very old ones by the way they were swelled and greasy on the outside. The hose that goes into the water manifold just in back of the alternator was a formed hose with a moulded curve to fit into the straight pipe fitting. I did not want to kink the hose and had an unsuccessful search for a heater hose pipe with a 45 degree bend. Looking through my pipe and fittings collection I found a nice chrome plated shower head pipe. It was the right 1/2-inch pipe thread, length, and had the correct bend. I reused the spring type clamps. It worked like a charm and makes a nice looking fix. Of course, this is not authentic, but worth considering if you are not going for a concours looking engine compartment.

(o[]o)

I ran into this same problem on my 1963 R2. I found a heater hose with the correct formed 90 degree bend at O'Reilly auto parts. It was a Gates # 28479. I cut it to size. O'Reilly was kind enough to let me wonder through their hoses till I found one that would work. Good luck !