3/8 Inch Spacer for Left Rear Engine Mount

mtgibby

All,

On another thread, which I apologize for hijacking, Rob mentioned that the automatics had a 3/8 inch spacer under the left rear engine mount for alignment of the drivetrain.

I'm glad he mentioned that, because I did not put one in on 63-R2302, and the body will be put back on soon!

So I went rummaging through the boxes of parts that came with my 1:1 Scale Do-It-Yourself Avant Kit, and found this:

DSC02677_zpsf3sqguyp.jpg

The part number is not the same as in the book.

The parts book says it should be 527974 and 3/8 of an inch thick.

This one is stamped with part number 532427 and is about 1/2 inch thick. That part number (532427) refers back to the 0101 (engine mounting) group.

So, what do you think? Is 1/2 inch too much? Did the factory pick the spacer size required as they fit the drive train to the frame?

Or just chuck it and stack some large washers to 3/8 thickness?

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by mtgibby

Spacer looks good for what you need. Actually "tilts" the rear of the engine and kicks the trans to the right. Gives the left exhaust manifold clearance to the steering gear. Once in place you can adjust the trans linkage correctly and the kick down ( transmission pressure linkage) correctly.

I am sure you should have the correct transmission mount but if you somehow end up with the wrong one the tranny will not align easily and you will find that a different set of spacer/washers will be needed to get things to sort of fit. This is what I found on my most recent car when I tried removing the P/S valve and couldn't get the nut off the shaft, no clearance to the manifold, as fred88 says above. Luckily I found the proper spacer and the CORRECT tranny mount in a box of "spare parts" that I have been hauling around for the past 40 years and 5 moves. There is a reason for being a good pack rat...

Makes me wonder who the mechanic was that installed the tranny in the first place. Did he not have a manual? You pays your money and you takes your chance!

Norm, I read your thread on the Studebaker forum and checked the numbers. My SPARES are labeled R-70 and L-71 (2 of those). The ones I put on the car are unlabeled. Probably reproduction units. But they look to be identical in all dimensions. I just wish the threads on the left mount were longer! Once you add the spacer, it only leaves about 1/2 inch of threads exposed, not much once you add a flat, then lock washer, then the nut.

You are correct. The one not to use was L-71. I believe the thread noted the correct one. I am not sure about the stud length. I don't recall having a problem. If you have a decent amount of clearance from the steering gear and the firewall tunnel you should be ok.

I just re-read the tranny mount post and StudeRich cleared it up quite nicely. L71 is the correct mount for your Avanti. L 71 or 71L was installed on my Lark but was wrong for that application so I needed to replace it with the L03 mount, which I found in a box of spare parts. Where the Avanti/Hawk mount came from on my Lark is anyone's guess. So now I have a spare Avanti mount. Won't fit my Avanti, though, since mine is a 4-speed...