1976 Avanti "cow catchers"

rwolak

Or at least I think that's what they're called. It's the ugly, retractable bumper with large black bumper guards on a 1976 Avanti.

Anyway, has anyone ever tried to remove this appendage? It looks like the only thing holding them in place are two horizontal bolts that go through the frame and front bumper brackets and two vertical bolts that also hold the bracket for the stabilizer bar. This setup is on either side. Is there more to removing the "bumper add-on" than removing these 8 bolts?

thanx for any help

Look closely and you will see that the back portion provides support for the radiator. I cut the back portion off at an angle just in front of the radiator and bolted it back in. There are also larger holes in the grill area that you may wish to deal with. It is a major improvement in appearance. My 74 is in the polebarn, if you need a picture or two of my modification I can get them..

Edited by Avanti83

RQB3263...I also removed this ugly appendage and fabed a cover plate for the large holes that remained and installed 2" amber LED park lights...also i made brackets and attached the fog lights onto the outside of that same tube..and made a new stainless steel horozontal tube grill..and lets not forget removal of front bumper (and rear)....several of many mods to RQB3263 that worked out pretty good ....BILL

Look closely and you will see that the back portion provides support for the radiator. I cut the back portion off at an angle just in front of the radiator and bolted it back in. There are also larger holes in the grill area that you may wish to deal with. It is a major improvement in appearance. My 74 is in the polebarn, if you need a picture or two of my modification I can get them..

When you say you cut the radiator support and bolted it back on, was this done while the bumper was still on the car or after it was removed. I pulled the 8 bolts out that I mentioned earlier but there still seems to be something holding it on the car.

Any pics would be appreciated. Please send them to rwolak@verizon.net

Thanx

Picture of the "Cow catcher mod".

This is the measurement of the portion of the mount left after I cut the mounting end off.

IMGP0886_zpseazjezxo.jpg

The part of the mount I used resting on the frame

IMGP0891_zpsggdk86uj.jpg

The above shot of the mount showing all the bolts and/or holes involved. If you have all four bolts out, the mount should move forward. It can take a fair amount of force as it's a fairly tight fit and rust can develop between the frame and mount.

Bob

RQB3263...I see no reason to cut anything...I made the mods shown in the pics i sent out without cutting...fairly simple...If someone wants to post those pics on the forum go ahead...thats above my pay grade

Picture of the "Cow catcher mod".

This is the measurement of the portion of the mount left after I cut the mounting end off.

IMGP0886_zpseazjezxo.jpg

The part of the mount I used resting on the frame

IMGP0891_zpsggdk86uj.jpg

The above shot of the mount showing all the bolts and/or holes involved. If you have all four bolts out, the mount should move forward. It can take a fair amount of force as it's a fairly tight fit and rust can develop between the frame and mount.

Bob[/quot

Ok thanx. I guess I just use enough force when I had the bolts out.

huuuuumm are we talking about the same things here...this doesnt look familiar...even though i just removed the "cow catcher" recently....RQB3263

I went through this when I first got mine, and here's the thread on it: http://www.aoai.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2521&hl=catcher

You can just remove the bumper, but the frame extensions will still be there. You can mount fog lights on them to hide them, or bite the bullet and remove them, cut them and weld up the grill....Which is what I ended up doing.

Another very important part is that the front body mount is attached to those frame extensions! Look at the picture above and you will see it. Make sure that is not still attached when you start whacking on things!

Interesting discussion, appreciate the photos. Does not look like an easy job.

I have a couple of questions regarding the photo of the cut-off rear portion (extension) of the cowcatcher in place...

- the holes in the side of the cowcatcher don't line up with holes in the frame, I assume the radiator support needs to be jacked-up a bit to raise the body to be able to line up the holes?

- There appear to be what look like rivet heads on the surface of the cow-catcher extension on either side of the "long through-bolt"... are they rivets, and if so, what are they holding?

Wildfeir: in your post #4 above you offer photos, but your email address isn't working, my emails are returned saying "no such address" (see below); please send them to me waynec@jagsnvettes.com

************************************************************************************************************************************

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error.

wildfeir@cooper.net INVALID_ADDRESS, ERROR_CODE :550, ERROR_CODE :no such address

Received:from [10.0.1.9] (ip98-185-215-160.sb.sd.cox.net [98.185.215.160]) by mx.zohomail.com
with SMTPS id 1466272167427681.3713209870551; Sat, 18 Jun 2016 10:49:27 -0700 (PDT)
Message-ID:<ef63e173-814e-0e60-4aea-851d5ee3f4ac@jagsnvettes.com>
Date:Sat, 18 Jun 2016 10:48:53 -0700

**************************************************************************************************************************************

I have a couple of questions regarding the photo of the cut-off rear portion (extension) of the cowcatcher in place...

- the holes in the side of the cowcatcher don't line up with holes in the frame, I assume the radiator support needs to be jacked-up a bit to raise the body to be able to line up the holes?

- There appear to be what look like rivet heads on the surface of the cow-catcher extension on either side of the "long through-bolt"... are they rivets, and if so, what are they holding?

In the final fit the holes line up with the frame.

100_1731_zpsqokp0h9z.jpg

The previous photo looks out of place but what it shows is the inside of the spacers in the frame that keep the frame from distorting as the bumper bolts are tightened.

Good catch on the rivets. They are in the frame and the bracket has holes for them. The body bolt and shims need to be removed to pull off the mount. The first move was to raise the mount to clear the rivets. Upon further review, I supported the front of the bodywhen I removed the cow catcher. The photos above a a couple of years old. The one above is recent.

It's a bit of a bother to remove the assembly but I wanted to have the option of closing up the holes or adding cold air ducting later in that area.

Bill (wildfelr) is correct that it could be cut off without removing it and lights or other options could be mounted on the remaining portion.

Bill --- BTW -- you could text me the photos and I'll add them to the post. Bob

Wildfeir: in your post #4 above you offer photos, but your email address isn't working, my emails are returned saying "no such address" (see below); please send them to me waynec@jagsnvettes.com

Waynec:

I started this topic because I'm trying to remove the "catchers" from my '76. I've been all over the front end and, unless I'm really missing something, my radiator support is no where near these extensions. There are two bumper bracket supports that are held to the frame/extensions with two horizontal bolts (the ones you mentioned in the pics). The only other bolts holding the extension on are two vertical bolts that go up through the stabilizer bar support. I've removed the 4 bolts on either side on the extensions and they are loose but I still couldn't get then out.

************************************************************************************************************************************

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error.wildfeir@cooper.net INVALID_ADDRESS, ERROR_CODE :550, ERROR_CODE :no such address

Received:from [10.0.1.9] (ip98-185-215-160.sb.sd.cox.net [98.185.215.160]) by mx.zohomail.com

with SMTPS id 1466272167427681.3713209870551; Sat, 18 Jun 2016 10:49:27 -0700 (PDT)

Message-ID:<ef63e173-814e-0e60-4aea-851d5ee3f4ac@jagsnvettes.com>

Date:Sat, 18 Jun 2016 10:48:53 -0700

**************************************************************************************************************************************

RQB3263 ...wildfelr@copper.net...is what is posted and is correct.....(your trying cooper.net is incorrect) email me and ill send you all the pics you want ....BILL

Bill, I am interested in photos, but I am unable to email you, please send them to the address I listed in post #13.

Actually I had tried copper.net first (twice), then tried cooper.net thinking perhaps you made a typo, but I had errors on both copper and cooper... I inadvertently posted the cooper error message.

So I tried again today and got the same error (don't ask me to explain it, it's above my pay grade... perhaps an issue between my email provider and your email provider):

"This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error.

wildfeir@copper.net INVALID_ADDRESS, ERROR_CODE :550, ERROR_CODE :Recipient Rejected: No account by that name here

with SMTPS id 1466352291445689.6189861143637; Sun, 19 Jun 2016 09:04:51 -0700 (PDT)
Message-ID:<5d3b46ee-e6b2-12b1-4eea-ecf2d6a2138a@jagsnvettes.com>
Date:Sun, 19 Jun 2016 09:04:14 -0700"