Avanit Logo

I am looking for 2 new or good used 2000 + Avanti logos to put on the front and back of the 2007. The only ones at Studebaker International are the original with the lager V.

If I can't find any does anybody know of a good 3D printing company that can cut them for me?

Thank for any help you can give.

Bill

post-12888-0-99651800-1465332373_thumb.jpgpost-12888-0-63025100-1465332381_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Bill. Just saw this as I have not been on here for months. I too am in need of the Avanti script logos for a 2007. If you find a source let me know

Jim Campbell

480-544-5925

They pop up every now and then on eBay. Keep an eye on that. You can always take two from a Blake era Avanti which has the same appearance. The rub is that you have to precisely drill holes on the nose and trunk lid to attach them.

I'm getting the sense that Avanti Motors in the 2000's may have been a bit loosey-goosey with respect to logo installation and type...either that or the car owners are. It is understandable that in the last days in Cancun some cars were left without badging...either the cars were not completed, or no badges were on hand (out of stock, or supplier not sending to the factory until payment was made). But on Bob Johnstone's website, I saw a pic of a 2005 Avanti at the 2016 SDC International in Rhode Island with a pre-Blake (Loewy script) Avanti badge on the front:

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Photos16/sdcn0716/sdcn0716.html

The front right corner of the car is at the lower right in the eighth pic up from the bottom of the linked list...look for a pic of a red metallic '56 Hawk.

Might any of the former people at Avanti Motors know where the badges were sourced, John Hull perhaps?

If I can't find any does anybody know of a good 3D printing company that can cut them for me?

I'm not sure about printing but I would suspect that a water jet operation could cut them out of stainless steel and make as many as you want for a decent price once they have the program made. They could either then be chrome plated or just highly polished as desired.

I'm getting the sense that Avanti Motors in the 2000's may have been a bit loosey-goosey with respect to logo installation and type...either that or the car owners are. It is understandable that in the last days in Cancun some cars were left without badging...either the cars were not completed, or no badges were on hand (out of stock, or supplier not sending to the factory until payment was made). But on Bob Johnstone's website, I saw a pic of a 2005 Avanti at the 2016 SDC International in Rhode Island with a pre-Blake (Loewy script) Avanti badge on the front:

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Photos16/sdcn0716/sdcn0716.html

The front right corner of the car is at the lower right in the eighth pic up from the bottom of the linked list...look for a pic of a red metallic '56 Hawk.

Might any of the former people at Avanti Motors know where the badges were sourced, John Hull perhaps?

If you look at photos of Avantis from the 2001-2007 era you'll see several variations of the logos. I think my car has the most common version...the late script in silver. I've seen photos of the logo in black as well plus several other styling cues...some had the area around the headlights blacked out (mine has that)...I've seen at least one with that area painted body color. I've seen one with the backup lights in the trunk lid as the original Avanti did while most have backup lights mounted in the rear bumper.

I believe the factory may have been trying out different versions to see how they looked or which were more economically manufactured. It just shows how the earlier cars were all more or less prototypes before settling in on a standard way of doing things...if they ever did fully standardize the car. It's difficult to say things were standardized with so few cars being built before moving to two different Mustang platforms and have to do some major redesigning over and over.

I wouldn't be surprised if Avanti Motors farmed out making the logos for the front and rear to some small local shop...order a minimum number and see how they worked out before ordering more. I think to make the logos themselves plus metallize the chrome on them plus the adhesive would be beyond reasonable in-house costs. They did make their own rear turn signal lenses but the quality of them is far less than the logos which leads me to believe the logos were farmed out.

Another thing about the logos...might they be leftovers from Youngstown production and pressed into service?

Good points...I had forgotten that each successive owner of Avanti "inherited" most, if not all, of the parts inventory of the previous owner. It is conceivable the 2005 model in the picture I linked came to completion at a moment when Villa Rica had no "current" badges in stock and to get the car to the owner or dealer on time, Newman+Altman era badges were used instead.

As a side note, I understand the Newman+Altman "Avanti II" badges were made from pieces acquired from Studebaker: an "Avanti" badge was coupled with some of the Roman numerals from a "Lark VIII" badge.

As a side note, I understand the Newman+Altman "Avanti II" badges were made from pieces acquired from Studebaker: an "Avanti" badge was coupled with some of the Roman numerals from a "Lark VIII" badge.

That's true. If it wasn't for all the Avanti parts inventory included in the deal with Studebaker along with truck parts and items like the "VIII" emblems that could be modified, there would have been no chance for the Avanti Motor Company getting off the ground. Leftover Studebaker parts were used for a long time and replacements found only when inventory ran out or due to federal safety regulations.

If you look at the "Avanti" logo on the front and rear of the car and the "II" addition, it's obvious they're quite different. The "Avanti" is flat while the "II" is peaked across its face. I would think if the "II" had to be sourced new it would probably have a flat face to better match the "Avanti".

The GT has the new style logo but I have not seen it used on any other car from the mid 80's. I know my car was not completed when it left the factory and was brought back to the states. I was told they took all the parts they could find to complete them once they were back so I am not surprised the logo were gone.

I am working with a local tech high school to have some 3D printed out of ABS and will have them chromed. I am have them make a few and offer them up with proceeds going back to the school.

If you look at the emblems on the 2001 and 2002 cars at the Detroit Auto Shows and other photos it appears that the Blake style GT emblems (all capital letters) were used. Later cars definitely used "sharper edged and thicker" body letters as shown in post #1 above.

Dan Booth of Nostalgic Motor Cars In Wixon MI still has the GT style emblems in stock.

post-9179-0-18143900-1478487156_thumb.jpg