Spare tire

schuyler

Recently I was at a show with another Avanti owner. We were comparing our 63 Avantis' and found out that we both had the same type of spare tire. Atlas brand ( Sears ? ), blackwall, 15", bias belt. Could it be that in 1963 Studebaker Avantis came from the factory with Atlas tires as spares? It would seem that if you ordered a car with Firestone whitewalls that the spare would be a Firestone whitewall also? Or what was put in as a spare from the factory? Comments? Thanks!

Original 6.70-15 tires were not belted. Some did come with Sears Allstate tires due to a promotional tie-in. Atlas tires were, I believe, more of an independent retailer tire, such as at service stations.

As far as I know, Avantis would have all been equipped with five matching tires, regardless of make.

I think that you and your friend each having Atlas spare tires is a coincidence. Back in the day, Atlas was a very commonly seen tire.

The Enco service station that I worked at in the early 1970's sold Atlas tires, also sold Atlas tubes and patched flat tires with Atlas supplies. What do your production orders say came from the factory with? The tie in with Sears Allstate tires came into play with some of the Bonneville record attempts, and began with Paula Murphy, Barbara Nieland and Bill Carroll driving from New York city to LA then down to Tijuana Mexico, up to Vancouver BC and back to Bonneville. Andy Granatelli then drove the car to to speeds averaging 145.99 MPH, all on Sears Allstate tires. Picture can be found in John Hull's Avanti STudebaker and Beyond book page 43. Lou Cote

I remember it was very common to pull into a service station back in the day and see a mobile tire rack outside the service bays full of whatever brand tire the oil company sold...Atlas is the brand likely most common. The rear wall had a bigger rack full of tires as well.

Of course, that in the days when service stations were a prime retailer of tires as there were few major retailers outside of Sears, Monkey Wards, Western Auto and a few others.

I believe that all of the Sears Allstate tire Avantis were 1964 models. I owned one of them that was built in a run of nine (?), all with the same equipment and colors.

I agree that the Atlas tires are aftermarket and not original to 1963 Avantis.