Pink Resistor Wire

Avanti7

I have a 1970 350/300 that a P.O. pulled the HEI distrib. and put in a points distrib. I'm going to replace the points and condenser from this distrib. with a Pertronix Ignitor II. The instructions say to replace the pink resistor wire with a 12 gauge regular wire.

My question is what is the purpose of the pink resistor wire? Also if the resistor wire is replaced surely something else will be affected.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

The resistance wire reduces the voltage to the coil for longer points life, and less arcing. Going to electronic triggered coil eliminates this concern. It will give hotter spark.. The coil may run hot. Be sure a resistor isn't required for the coil.

if it is replace the coil for one that can run full voltage without a resistor. Nothing else is effected.

Thanks Brad, I understand. It makes sense. Pertronix told me I could use The stock coil.

If you don,t mind I have another question. The spark plug wires in my '70' are solid core and Pertronix instructions say the wires must

be a suppression style or spiral wound. Would you recommend a plug wire for the Pertronix Ignitor II ?

Thanks again Brad.

Thanks Brad. I ordered a set today. I will let you know how it comes out. Thanks again.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brad. I finally had time to install the Pertronix kit today. I also installed the plug wires from Summit Racing that you recommended along with new plugs and rotor.

I disconnected the resistor wire and ran a 14 gauge wire from the ignition to the positive side of the coil. I set the timing at 6 degrees BTDC, but the engine didn't

seem to like that. So I increased it to 8 degrees and finally settled on 10 degrees BTDC. When I was a kid we use to advance the timing until the engine started to

ping then back it off 2 degrees. Still don't know if that was the right thing to do, but our engines ran pretty good.

I am really happy with what I've done to my "70." The throttle response is much better and the engine over all is stronger.

Brad I want to thank you for your help and your suggestions. I see your threads on our forum all the time and you are always helping us shade tree guys.

Thanks again.