77 Avanti on Ebay...

silverstude

You can get that effect if you use Coil-Over shocks. The extra spring power boosts the rear up a bit. Could just be new rear leaf springs also.

The question was posed regarding the seller because the serial number was missing and the reply I received when my email was returned was ".....why?".

• 1 month later...

Caveat emptor. Knowing the S/N of a vehicle for sale can be very important, as it can help to establish the history of the car. For example, Bob Johnstone's site ( http://www.studebaker-info.org/avantiRQBverc.html) has historical information about many Avantis, by serial number. There have been occasions where vehicles listed for sale as pristine, low mileage examples showed up in the historical files as being very rough at some time in their past. This information may or may not be known to the current owner/seller. This is kind of like a "CARFAX" for Avantis.

That said, let me emphasise that I am by no means suggesting that there is anything of that nature involved with this particular Avanti. I am only pointing out that there are valid reasons for wanting to know the S/N. I, personally, would not bid on a vehicle without knowing the number.

Conversely, let me pose the question to the group, "Is there any reason that you would not want to include the S/N or VIN when you list a vehicle on ebay?"

It's all good. I just wondered what the reason was because that was the only question he asked me. I tried typing the van in on eBay when I listed it but it wouldn't let me... but I have sent a picture of the VIN two interested buyers on eBay since then. Not trying to keep it secret or anything. I guess I should have just messaged the VIN number back but anyways the car is still for sale if anyone here is interested. I live in PA. I've owned it since 95. I'll probably post it on this site for sale. I haven't been on this site in years and I forgot about it but it's probably a good site to list an Avanti for sale.

Every antique vehicle group i belong to has members who will not share their vin / serial numbers. They are afraid that "internet thieves" will figure out how to make a claim on their vehicle (especially the motor bike & motorcycle groups where getting replacement titles is usually necessary. I don't buy into it (I keep rosters of a couple different groups & it's frustrating to me), but some people hang onto those beliefs.

Mike Sal