Gas line valve

Doug B

Thanks. I was hoping to find one with a remote operator such as one which is controlled by the ignition.

Where do you install yours?

This is the install on my 83 with a Holley EFI setup. If I had to do it over again, I'd put the valve between the fuel tank and the tee. I did that on my 74 but this will let me change the filters and fuel pump with the tank full.

100_1719_zps4tbgueqg.jpg

Edited by Avanti83

RQB 3263...BILL GREGG..send me your cell number and i can text you pic of my install on 81/305 w carburetor...looks very similar to above...would not recommend remote operated valve...Got my valve at central hydraulics in ocala fl...and they made the flex line for me also all cheap...<wildfelr@copper.net>....easy and worthwhile mod....BILL..RQB 3263

Thanks Avanti 83. Nice installation and even better pic.

I thought a valve like yours could be put under the hood with a cable pull under the dash, like the trunk release. Easier than electric?

What is that Tee you mention?

Somewhere on Bob Johnstone's site, I found several items of interest concerning valves in gas lines. Of course, the relationship between computers and me precludes any hope of ever finding it again.

If someone does get to it would you please post it for all of us.

Included there were references to valves controlled by oil-line pressure switches such as NAPA OP-6610 or Delco P5-9, to shut things down when oil pressure drops. He suggests putting the valve as close to the tank as possible and prefers a centrifugal pump such as GP 60430. No mention of make.

I presume that the valve is "normally closed". (With a little more thought, this became obvious.)

It should be a great safety feature.

Doug B;

I have in the past thought about doing the same thing. Install an electrical operated Solenoid Valve on the gas line where it leaves the gas tank. Then have a toggle switch under the dash to turn it on. It would also serve as a anti theft device.

There are many 12 volt valves available. Amazon has one for about $38.00

Ron

I am not a fan of electric valves on my fuel system even though I run an electric pump in everything I build.. If you can find a "latching" fuel valve that stays in either open or closed position without a constant voltage then I'd use that one. Generally fuel valves require constant voltage to stay in one position, either open or closed, be sure to specify if you purchase one.

I like the manual ones which won't fail and I use a "latching" relay on my main electric power line for theft protection. Your money, your choice However.

I do agree though to locate it back closer to the tank. Bob

Edited by Avanti83