Headlights Not Working

wapanzica

After taking my 63 Avanti out of winter storage I found the headlights and taillights have stopped working. I think it could be the fuse but I would like to know if there are any other items I should look at?

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

I doubt that you have a "fuse" in that circuit. It may be the circuit breaker, but is more likely the headlight switch.

Of course, it could be other things like rodent eaten wires or bad grounds.

Use a simple meter to check where you have power and where you do not have power. This will isolate the problem area.

I was wrong about what was and was not working. The parking lights and turn signals work but when I turn the headlight on the front parking lights go off and the headlight won't come on but the taillights work fine.

Could that be the relay?

I was wrong about what was and was not working. The parking lights and turn signals work but when I turn the headlight on the front parking lights go off and the headlight won't come on but the taillights work fine.

Could that be the relay?

Looks like a perfect time to use a VOM or 12 v test light. Track voltage to and from the relay and at the headlights. That should tell you if it's a relay issue or ground. The test light is probably cheaper than a relay and you'll have it later if you need it. Then you can replace the correct part or connection.

I'd probably check the bulbs also. Do you have brights?

Edited by Avanti83

Well fellas .....I guess you're all a lot younger than I am (70 years) BUT before 1968 when the "federal car" was controlled by the Feds & the EPA.......whenever the headlights were on the parking lights went out. It wasn't until 1968 when they both stayed on. SOOOOOO the good news is that you may NOT have a problem at all !

GOOD LUCK

AVANTI FRED

Avanti Fred - I am much older than you are and agree with what you posted. What I replied to was when the OP stated that his headlights and tail lights did not work.

My guess if you have NO headlamps at all, circuit breaker with the olive green wire with black tracer at one end and black only at the other-no juice to circuit without it. Then check for juice at switch on header at the olive green with black tracer post. Once you have power there, then to the dimmer switch on the floor. No head lamp relays on 63 Avanti. Remember white is ground on these cars not black like newer ones. Good Luck, it doesn't hurt to check grounds (white wires) while you are tracing, but if you have park lamps they share the ground with the headlight in the bundle. If it is the breaker, watch it doesn't go quickly again. Pull all the H/L plugs check for corrosion and moisture, try to find where the overload is occurring.

Edited by fred88