Cost to inspect, new seal in 63 auto tranny

Devildog

Hi all,

The 63 which recently followed me home has a very bad tranny front seal leak.

1.If I pull the tranny and take to a tranny shop to install new seal and generally inspect, what would be a fair price?

2.With a little advance notice can a tranny shop get the seals, etc or should I get them since these are 50 years old and not common to routine repair?

3.Any other experience comments?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Joe

Joe,

You can get a complete seal and gasket set from Jon Myers, Myers' Studebaker, Duncan Oh, 740-674-4897, myersstudebaker.com

If the front seal is leaking, you probably will want to replace all the rubber including the servo and clutch rubber parts and they are included.

Ken Buchanan

Thanks Ken,

Yes, Jon is the man. The car has been sitting for 15 years. We have it running and appears engine is good (maybe 10,000 mi on rebuild).

Again, thanks

Joe

P.J. O'Rourke is great. especially liked Give War a Chance

It's fairly easy to pull a Studebaker automatic, as it just unbolts and slides back like a standard transmission. Don't forget to drain the torque converter, or you will have a mess. It wouldn't hurt to replace the front pump bushing as well when you replace the front seal.

The seal on the shift selector shaft (in the side of case) can be a real leaker too!....Also, it seems like some Powershift trans pans simply REFUSE to be sealed!!