63 tachometer

Guest Larry Delazzer

Guest Larry Delazzer

Is there any provision for adjusting the sending unit on the 63 Avanti tachometer, thanks. Mine is consistently showing 200 to 400 rpm lower than actual rpm, the faster the rpm the higher the disparity. Thanks.

That's not unusual. Car magazines back in the day commented on the Avanti's tach and speedometer being off...the higher the speed the more the disparity. Whether your's is excessive or not compared to tests I can't say.

Is this disparity something recent? I don't believe the shop manual shows any adjustments but the tach head itself might have some adjustment screw. It's been a long time since I had one of them out to look over. Maybe the sending unit needs rebuilding or replacement?

Guest Larry Delazzer

Yep, thats the situation with mine, the higher the speed the bigger the disparity. At 30 it's slow by around 200 and by 60 it's off by 450 or so.

I have only owned the car for a little over a year and it's been that way since I've owned it. I wasn't able to find anything in the shop manual nor on this forum so thought I'd inquire. Guess I'll have to get my fat butt under the dash and see if I can find something, just thought it would be nice to go right to the dial if there is one. Maybe a rebuilding is in order but it seems to work great and is smooth in function it's just gets progressively slower so an adjusting screw sure would be nice. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone else can chime in that has had the same problem.

Thanks for input Gunslinger.

The replacement electronic Tach sending using sold by several of our Studebaker vendors has an adjustment on the bottom that can be turned with a small screwdriver to fine tune the tach readings.