1979 Avanti

Guest laverdj

Guest laverdj

I am a relatively new member of AOIA and I recently purchased a 1979 with very low mileage and in great condition. The car has not been driven much the last ten years until I drove it home - about 350 mile trip. Recently I noticed a gas smell inside the car and decided to investigate.

I removed the back seat and back support and behind it is a fiberglass plate held in place with about 20 screws. After removing the screws, I realized that the panel appears to also be glued. I stopped there for fear of breaking the panel.

My questions is - is the gas tank accessible from under the car i.e. can one see and reach the fuels lines if the car is hoisted or is the only option to remove the fiberglass panel to gain access to the tank and lines.

Any help would be appreciated

Jean Laverdure

King City, Ontario

On our '82 the fiberglass panel behind the rear seat was not glued in place. You only had 20 screws holding your panel? ;) I would check for missed screws. If you are sure that none are left, is it possible to get leverage with a putty knife to lift the panel edges? Hopefully some misguided soul didn't really glue the panel in place.

Panel removal will provide access to the gas tank, sending unit and gas tank vent piping.

Best regards,

Joe M in WV

On our '82 the fiberglass panel behind the rear seat was not glued in place. You only had 20 screws holding your panel? ;) I would check for missed screws. If you are sure that none are left, is it possible to get leverage with a putty knife to lift the panel edges? Hopefully some misguided soul didn't really glue the panel in place.

This thread will be useful, I took a couple pics of "WayneC"s Avanti with the panel off :

http://www.aoai.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=459&st=20

I think that the number of screws that hold that panel on, is closer to 3000, then 20. ;)

The panel IS sealed with some goop, the goop isnt glue, but it can require a little bit

of prying to break loose. But I would make SURE there are no more screws!

Tom

Guest laverdj
This thread will be useful, I took a couple pics of "WayneC"s Avanti with the panel off :

http://www.aoai.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=459&st=20

I think that the number of screws that hold that panel on, is closer to 3000, then 20. ;)

The panel IS sealed with some goop, the goop isnt glue, but it can require a little bit

of prying to break loose. But I would make SURE there are no more screws!

Tom

Thanks Tom, actually there are exactly 27 screws that were holding the panel in place. We carefully pried it loose - some caulking not glue- and were able to see some residue of gas, probably from overfilling. Will tighten up the clamps, fill her up and see what happens. Thanks for the pictures. This was helpful.

Jean