Need a new driver's door for 63 Avanti

okc63avanti

The driver's door on my 63 avanti sagged when I purchased it 15 years ago. The fiberglass where upper hinge goes in door was cracked and Michael Myer did the best he could to repair during my restoration (finished 2012). Since that time Oklahoma wind has caught the door stressed the fiberglass again and now the fiberglass around upper hinge is in worst shape. I think its time to think about replacing the door.

I am interested in purchasing a NOS door or a used driver's door in great shape (not cracked). I think at this point replacing the door is probably my best option. Please respond if anyone knows of an available door in great shape.

Thanks,

John

Nostalgic is your best hope but they show up on Ebay occasionally. No matter where you find it be sure to fit it prior to painting. There is a fair amount of variability in them.

Also, why not contact Brad Bez and see what he would advise, might be cheaper to fix yours than repaint another one. Also on the SDC forum, IIRC, there have been a couple of posts on repairing that issue.

Good luck, Bob

Also...make sure you get a door for a pre-1976 Avanti. During that model year the lock mechanism changed...the lock cylinder was moved from the handle to the door itself. I believe the striker mechanism changed as well. Prior to that change it was still the original Avanti door.

Nostalgic is your best hope but they show up on Ebay occasionally. No matter where you find it be sure to fit it prior to painting. There is a fair amount of variability in them.

Also, why not contact Brad Bez and see what he would advise, might be cheaper to fix yours than repaint another one. Also on the SDC forum, IIRC, there have been a couple of posts on repairing that issue.

Good luck, Bob

Brad will be doing my work, he advised trying to find a replacement door.

I've located a replacement door in Romeo, Michigan (Just North of Detroit). If anyone is planning a trip in the near future from Detroit towards St. Louis and has room to transport an avanti door, please contact me. I would be willing to help with your expenses. The door is going to Brad Bez who will be doing the repair work for me.

Thanks,

John

• 1 month later...

I think if I was faced with this issue, I might be looking at improvement rather than replacement. Consider

cutting open the door and installing a crash bar into it, that supports and door and hinges. One thing that

bothers me about my Avanti is how it would (or wouldnt) fair in a side impact.

I cut apart a 1994 Firebird door a few years back that had been t-boned by an SUV, the door was almost

torn apart, but the crash bar was there. It had gone from straight to curved and now I use it as my prybar.

The car was hit so hard it went into a spin and hit a center margin, breaking off both rear axles.

I am sure the passenger would have been killed if the seat had been occupied, but imagine what it would

have looked like WITHOUT!

Tom

I think if I was faced with this issue, I might be looking at improvement rather than replacement. Consider

cutting open the door and installing a crash bar into it, that supports and door and hinges. One thing that

bothers me about my Avanti is how it would (or wouldnt) fair in a side impact.

I cut apart a 1994 Firebird door a few years back that had been t-boned by an SUV, the door was almost

torn apart, but the crash bar was there. It had gone from straight to curved and now I use it as my prybar.

The car was hit so hard it went into a spin and hit a center margin, breaking off both rear axles.

I am sure the passenger would have been killed if the seat had been occupied, but imagine what it would

have looked like WITHOUT!

Tom

I understand what you mean Tom, About the only metal inside a Stude Avanti door is the window regulator!!