ss cover for the distrutor

gadd zooks

dear fellow avanti lovers. i have been hunting for a s.s. distrubutor cover for my 64 r2 avanti for 10 years.

it seems the whole world is had some run in with a mechanic that forgot to put all the parts back. on mine it was taken by such a mechanic. he asured me he would find it in his shop. then died. :o i have tryed all the regular parts depots for avanti, and studebaker. with out any luck. being a craftsmen i decided to faithfully reproduce it 6years ago. its ok, but this past weekend i was at the studebaker show in illinois. the real thing looks far better, far from the design i did. im close but i would like to honor the car and the fans of avanti buy doing a better reproduction. can anyone tell me of any prints or drawings that will help me complete my passion to show a classic car with the right pieces. thanks john B)

dear fellow avanti lovers. i have been hunting for a s.s. distrubutor cover for my 64 r2 avanti for 10 years.

it seems the whole world is had some run in with a mechanic that forgot to put all the parts back. on mine it was taken by such a mechanic. he asured me he would find it in his shop. then died.

Ah!! The old "died before he could give it back" trick! I actually have two sets of

these stainless steel parts, and I will be installing an HEI distributor, so I cant even

use the stock cover! The HEI is a bigger diameter then the Stude unit. Any clues

how much these are worth? I want to be fair, but I also need my bumpers to be

rechromed! Gosh darn chrome bumpers!!! Are the R1 parts same as R2?

Lemme know.

Tom

An option you might try, though it isn't "correct", is use the ignition shielding from a late '60s through early '70s Corvette. The Corvete brackets may not fit exactly but I would think they can be adapted or brackets fabricated to work. They fit over the distributor and coil the same as the Stude shielding does.

These parts are available as reproductions through Corvette suppliers like Corvette Central, Eckler's and others. I don't know for sure but I would think these are the same parts that early Avanti II's must have used to eliminate radio frequency interference.

Ah!! The old "died before he could give it back" trick! I actually have two sets of

these stainless steel parts, and I will be installing an HEI distributor, so I cant even

use the stock cover! The HEI is a bigger diameter then the Stude unit. Any clues

how much these are worth? I want to be fair, but I also need my bumpers to be

rechromed! Gosh darn chrome bumpers!!! Are the R1 parts same as R2?

Lemme know.

Tom

;) thanks tom id say their worth what someone is willing to pay.

i dont what to insult you in any way. i have enjoyed what you have reported to us fans

for the last year. im interested in reproduce it, i am motived to craft. i have the s.s. the brake,and the tig welder, with a machinist skill level..................................

<_<

really: my wife wont let me send our money . id say its worth 350.00 for set or 150.00 for the center cover. it seams its never the right time!

im interested in doing a good if not better job than the oringinal. still on the look out for some demensions and some pictures

john

;) thanks tom id say their worth what someone is willing to pay.

i dont what to insult you in any way. i have enjoyed what you have reported to us fans

for the last year. im interested in reproduce it, i am motived to craft. i have the s.s. the brake,and the tig welder, with a machinist skill level..................................

<_<

really: my wife wont let me send our money . id say its worth 350.00 for set or 150.00 for the center cover. it seams its never the right time!

im interested in doing a good if not better job than the oringinal. still on the look out for some demensions and some pictures

Well .. maybe I can sell it to someone else, and then have you make me center

piece that will fit the HEI distributor? B);)

I can arrange some pictures.

Tom

you bet tom any time :)

Just so you know, I havent forgot about you, I need to find my extra set of the

stainless steel pieces, then this weekend, I can take some measurements, and

a few pictures for you.

Tom

B)

Just so you know, I havent forgot about you, I need to find my extra set of the

stainless steel pieces, then this weekend, I can take some measurements, and

a few pictures for you.

Tom

thanks tom . also give me some size for the hei piece you need i will make it at the same time for you.

happy 4th of july :)

thanks tom . also give me some size for the hei piece you need i will make it at the same time for you.

happy 4th of july :)

Any idea what that might cost? I have to pick and chose my costing on

this project, the brakes were first priority, and next up is the bumper

rechroming, even though the exhaust is more annoying, I need to get

it more "presentable" for the upcoming show in Sept. ;)

Tom

B)

Any idea what that might cost? I have to pick and chose my costing on

this project, the brakes were first priority, and next up is the bumper

rechroming, even though the exhaust is more annoying, I need to get

it more "presentable" for the upcoming show in Sept. ;)

Tom

i think something like free or close to it B)

i think something like free or close to it

Wow! Thats my favorite price! :P Either way, I will get you some info

this weekend. ;)

Tom

Edited by SBCA96

i hate to ask more but: how about a side view right, left.

stainless021a.jpg

stainless022a.jpg

stainless023a.jpg

gage of s.s. ...your hei unit cover , does it need more width and or height?

According to my calipers ... its .020 thick, I dont know what gage that is. I also

dont know the exact changes needed to fit the HEI yet, I guess I need to do

some measuring soon! ;)

Tom

B) thanks for your help, i have come up with two build plans. still developing the prototype. carboard ;) ,

on the oringinal they spot welded...... to me that looks <_<

with the sides roll cornered, instead of using :blink: a brake folded side?

i owe you one.

come up with some measurements for your hei cover and i will post some pictures for you and for the fans.

B) john

• 3 weeks later...