What's the extra fuel line for?

WayneC

<snip>

My 63 had a fuel leak, I brought it to a guy in Goleta on Stroke Rd just past

where Kmart is.

<snip>

That's the guy that cleaned out my tank and told me it didn't need to be sealed.

That's the guy that cleaned out my tank and told me it didn't need to be sealed.

Maybe its not leaking then. Check all your connections, I would pay the most attention

to the most bottom hose connection, but its possible that the gas is leaking out the top

vent. Is the cap a vented one? Did you replace it?

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe its not leaking then. Check all your connections, I would pay the most attention

to the most bottom hose connection, but its possible that the gas is leaking out the top

vent. Is the cap a vented one? Did you replace it?

Tom

It WAS leaking. I took it back to the guy who cleaned it, but had to leave it because he wasn't there (closed over the 4th holidays). When I picked it up he apologized and said he should have tested it the first time (didn't think it was something I had to ask about, and he agreed). He found a leak at the soldered fuel outlet fitting on the bottom (apparently the gas followed the slanted bottom of the tank a ways before it dripped, because it hadn't leaked onto the driveway) and also on the solder joint of one of the vent line fittings.

Got the tank back in over the weekend (I was right, it is a little easier the second time around, but even less fun knowing the extra work shouldn't have been necessary) and took it down for a lube job today. Then I went to see about the tires I had quotes on before all the carburetor/fuel tank/radiator hose woes hit. Would you believe the quote for the same tires I priced about 3 months ago at the same place (your favorite, Tom) has gone up $75!!!! :huh: I'm going to check a few more places before I pay that much more.

Still have the rear panel and seat removed, just in case, and I can't believe how loud 6 gallons of gas sounds sloshing around in the tank. Can't remember that noise... hopefully replacing the panel and seat will tone that down. Also got a lot of new (or forgotten) rattles I'm gonna hafta chase down. :unsure:

Edited by WayneC

It WAS leaking. I took it back to the guy who cleaned it, but had to leave it because he wasn't there (closed over the 4th holidays). When I picked it up he apologized and said he should have tested it the first time

The only thing worse then doing a drawn out messy repair, is doing it twice. We have all been

there Wayne, I feel for yah man!! At least you got it done (fingers crossed).

Would you believe the quote for the same tires I priced about 3 months ago at the same place (your favorite, Tom) has gone up $75!!!!

Call Gary over at the Goleta store off Fairview, he should set things straight for you. He talks

REALLY fast, so have about 5 cups of coffee before talking to him.

Tom

Call Gary over at the Goleta store off Fairview, he should set things straight for you. He talks

REALLY fast, so have about 5 cups of coffee before talking to him.

Tom

Three months ago Big Brand (Gary) quoted me $354 for the tires I want, while Dal Pozza quoted me $376. Now Big Brand wants $440 and Dal Pozza wants $423. :(

The price from Tire Rack for those tires is $275.38 shipped, plus $50 to install and balance at Big Brand (listed as one of their recommended installers), plus a few bucks tire disposal fee, for a total of around $330

Three months ago the difference between Tire Rack's price and Big Brand's price was something like $35 and I was willing to absorb that, but $124?????

What would you do?

Right, that's what I did, tires are on order! ;)

tires are on order! ;)

Tires are on the car, transmission is serviced, new exaust extensions and the gas tank seems to be leak-free so far. Lookin' great and freeway safe. But, now my attention is directed to a bunch of rattles coming from the rear, a slight brake pull to the left, and an engine that pulls strong but doesn't idle quite as smoothly as it ought to... possible vacuum leak, or maybe I need to change the spark plugs.

Tires are on the car, transmission is serviced, new exaust extensions and the gas tank seems to be leak-free so far. Lookin' great and freeway safe. But, now my attention is directed to a bunch of rattles coming from the rear, a slight brake pull to the left, and an engine that pulls strong but doesn't idle quite as smoothly as it ought to... possible vacuum leak, or maybe I need to change the spark plugs.

Way to go Wayne! I didnt drive my Avanti today, I need to drive down to LA today and

buy some tires. I know that I recommended Big Brand, but you use the common tires,

my cars all have 16 inch or larger. I found a place in LA that sells a tire made by Goodyear

under the "Kelly" name, thats a knock off of the $250 a tire "F1". This place doesnt sell any

tires UNDER 17"! For the money I will save, its worth the drive. Our network here is toast

at work, so I lost the work I was doing, so until they recover it, I am dead in the water. I

was working on an overhead job, and that file got corrupted when the network crashed

yesterday, so I am afraid to work on anything now. I should make it to In N Out by around

9 pm tonight, if you want to swing by with your Avanti. I am driving the 224,000 '93 Z28

beater Camaro today. ;)

As for your issues, rattles usually are exhaust, and if your idle is bad ... my Avanti has a

symphony of exhaust rattles, some from directly under the floor, and some from behind.

I would put some plugs in, it certainly can not hurt, and if you cant remember the last time

they were done ... also .. there is a little light (too bad I am at work already or I would

have brought it) you can get (Walmart) that you put next to spark plug wires to check if

they are working right. I found 5 suspect wires on the wifes 78 Camaro with it. Its about

5 bucks - simple to use. Brake pull is usually leaking or stuck wheel cylinders in the front,

look for wet or shiny insides on the inside of the front tires.

The tool is made by "Katar Hand Tools", part #92A, its called a "Spark Plug Firing Indicator".

Made in the USA.

Tom

Edited by SBCA96

I should make it to In N Out by around

9 pm tonight, if you want to swing by with your Avanti.

As for your issues, rattles usually are exhaust, and if your idle is bad ... my Avanti has a

symphony of exhaust rattles, some from directly under the floor, and some from behind.

I would put some plugs in, it certainly can not hurt, and if you cant remember the last time

they were done ... also .. there is a little light (too bad I am at work already or I would

have brought it) you can get (Walmart) that you put next to spark plug wires to check if

they are working right. I found 5 suspect wires on the wifes 78 Camaro with it. Its about

5 bucks - simple to use. Brake pull is usually leaking or stuck wheel cylinders in the front,

look for wet or shiny insides on the inside of the front tires.

The tool is made by "Katar Hand Tools", part #92A, its called a "Spark Plug Firing Indicator".

Made in the USA.

Tom

I'm out of town, so won't be able to make the In & Out trip anytime soon, and the car

issues will have to wait for my return.

The rattles aren't exhaust, I stopped at a muffler shop and had that checked;

I'm guessing shock mount bushings.

The suggestion on plugs is a good one, and I will probably change

them to eliminate the possibility, although I suspect vacuum leaks.

Spark plug wires are another possibility, but I think a remote one...

the tool you mention probably isn't any different than using an inductive

timing light, and I do have one of those.

Edited by WayneC