Gassed Avanti!

mfg

I think that we are into semantics, again, here. Obviously, the Avanti is not "out of gas" if "the fuel tank is half full". The Avanti may not run or fuel may not reach the engine, but that is something else than being "out of gas".

Please try wording your question in a different manner.

Sure Gary,........A Studebaker Avanti containing a half tank of fuel can end up starved for gas...... even if the car has non-obstructed fuel & vent lines, proper fuel cap, and a fuel pump & carb in good working order......True?

vapor lock comes to mind but the return line to the tank was ment to help overcome that issue.

Good thought,...but we're not considering vapor lock with those clear fuel and vent/return lines........Any other thoughts here?

If it's a R2 or R3 and doesn't have the proper fuel pump with the fitting for the boost signal (or if someone has disconnected the boost signal line running down fuel pump) -- it could feel like it's running out of gas under boost.

A weak fuel pump and a hi boost S/C would end up starving the carb as boost pressure increased above fuel pressure... but this would also depend on r1lark's signal line condition and/or gas cap condition, ie; tank can't hold pressure.

If this isn't how it works I am sure someone can enlighten me. I'm still learning.

Perhaps you are referring to when the fuel system can not deliver enough fuel for the conditions/rpm that the engine is being run at. I have experienced this in a Packard Hawk (similar to an Avanti R2). My solution was to install an electric fuel pump in the rear. Studebaker issued a Service Letter/Bulletin covering this problem and instructing that an electric pump be added.

If it's a R2 or R3 and doesn't have the proper fuel pump with the fitting for the boost signal (or if someone has disconnected the boost signal line running down fuel pump) -- it could feel like it's running out of gas under boost.

YOU 'NAILED IT' PAUL!.......IF that Studebaker Avanti is R2 powered,.......and IF the equalizer tube between the supercharger and fuel pump is disconnected or in some way damaged, then during rapid acceleration that Avanti, with a half tank of fuel, can indeed feel like it's 'Running Out Of Gas' at 3500--4500 RPM!!

Answer to question....TRUE!