Removal of AIR pump on 73 (400 engine)

dstuff5

Anyone remove the air pump connected via serpentine belt to alternator I've already replaced the rams horn exhaust manifolds with plain ones what kind of bracket (alternator) could I use & what other problems would I encounter ? I'd like to use another serpentine belt.

Are you sure it's a serpentine belt? It's hard to imagine anyone would go to the trouble of including an air pump in a serpentine belt setup. Mine has two belts, one for the alternator and water pump and another for the PS and A/C.

Warren is correct about the serpentine belt, they came into being much later than 73. I have a Camaro 91ish setup on my 74 SBC and the pump is not installed. Just need the correct belt length.

I don't have a head on shot but could get one if necessary.

100_1143_zpsf5d281e6.jpg

Had the phone in the PB yesterday, so here's a shot of the engine front.

IMG_20151017_150948_zps3wqvzbyu.jpg

Edited by Avanti83

RQB3263...81/305....If youve got it keep it...use a shorter belt ...you may need to fab up an idler pulley ...Remember if you switch to a v-belt your water pump may need replacement...serpentine and v-belt pumps turn opposite directions ...Keep what ya got its better anyway....BILL RQB3263

RQB3263....WHILE IN THINKING ABOUT IT .....Simple way may be to remove the air pump , disassemble it and remove the internal stuff..and put it back on ...no belt change req....rqb3263

• 2 months later...

Why did you remove the ram horn manifolds and replace with plain ones? For a stock exhaust manifold, the ram horns flow pretty good.

I believe he means that he installed the earlier 'rams horn' exhaust manifolds without the air injection ports.....Most folks simply install pipe plugs in those ports when eliminating the air injection emission system on Avantis so equipped!

• 2 months later...

Good thing you guys aren't in Ontario Canada, you'd be "busted" by the emission police on road side inspection!!! All emission equipment has to be in place here, $380 fine for ea. piece missing + have to replace it all !!! Another thing is engine swaps, put a newer engine in older vehicle & MUST have all the emission set up for year of engine!!! SUCKS Big Time!!!

It may not apply where you live, but most states with a vehicle inspection will not pass the vehicle if the air pump has been removed. Think about the future when you may want to sell the car.

It may not apply where you live, but most states with a vehicle inspection will not pass the vehicle if the air pump has been removed. Think about the future when you may want to sell the car.

Cars of that era with smog equipment are some of the worst running low HP POS's built. If you want to remove the emissions equipment, do it, throw it in a box and keep it for the next guy. Life's to short to muck around with under powered, poor running, low fuel mileage vehicles of that era. :D Bob

The 1969 Avanti failed the California smog test decades ago, back when they required one for title transfer. We had to take it to a smog referee. It still failed, when my brother told the Ref that it was a "Corvette" engine and in 1969 the Vette had air injection. Because Avantis were low production, it was told to us by Avanti Motor Company, that it wasnt required. A note from AMC was needed to show the Ref and the car passed. Now in California, cars 1974 and OLDER are smog exempt, so I doesnt matter.

For the record the Ram Horn manifolds have plugs in the holes.

Tom