Avanti Gauges!

mfg

As 'A' series Avanti ll production proceeded, what was the first original Studebaker Avanti dash gauge to be phased out and replaced with a non-Stude alternative?....1) temp gauge.....2) Speedometer.....or.....3) clock

I'll take a stab at it and say the speedometer. They changed the hi-beam indicator from inside the speedometer face to the dash inlay itself above and between the tach and speedometer.

I'm not even sure it's easy to say what was changed when. I have a 1972 copy of Automobile Quarterly which shows a new Avanti II still with some Studebaker issue gauges. My 1970 Avanti came with very different gauges. While certain running changes did take place I do believe sometimes what was available on the shelf at any particular time was pulled and used in production. I know some tapered rear axles were used in RQB production when most had flanged axles.

I'm with adamderosa on his clock guess...Could be wrong, but I once saw a VERY early 'll' with a non-Stude (Borg) clock.

PS...and IMHO, Altman's Avanti ll buyers probably asked for a higher quality clock than what Stude provided.